all the sudden waking at night

My 3 month old had slept through the night since 4 weeks old. She would sleep from around 9pm to 5 or 6 am. All the sudden this last week or so, she started waking up around 3am to feed and again at 5:30. I am really confused as to why she is doing this all the sudden. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas why?

jet360

Asked by jet360 at 2:20 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's probably hitting a growth spurt. when they grow more, they need to eat more. :-) She'll get back on track in a few weeks.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:21 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Like PP said, growth spurt. Bigger baby needs more food. Her bedtime feeding probably isn't holding her over anymore.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• my daughter did the same thing around 4 months. After about a month of regularly sleeping through the night, she was waking every couple of hours like a newborn. About two weeks later, she went back to sleeping regularly and was in 6 month clothes, instead of 3 month. That was the only time she ever did it, but my son did it a lot more often. Every 10-18 weeks he would have something common disrupt his sleep cycle to such an extreme that I wondered if he was ever going to get back on track. He always did and everything was always fine.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:36 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Could be a growth spurt and could be that your baby is an early teether too...and by teething all though you might have a cranky baby...teeth may not appear til a few months later. My son did the whole waking up in middle of the night b/c he was teething and would just eat b/c he was awake...good luck.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 2:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Make sure you're taking your baby out during the day...for at least an hour. If your baby gets some sun it will make him/her sleep better at night. Also allows for the absorbtion of vitamin d.
    ZombieHousewife

Answer by ZombieHousewife at 3:54 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• This actually happended to me with my daughter. She was a wonderful sleeper until 3-4 months when she began to get up throughout the night. The dr said it was that she was growing and was probably hungry. Is she eating enough during the day? I hope she is sleeping again soon! :)
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 6:42 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• THanks everyone! It seems she must be going through a growth spurt. She is not eating significantly more, but she is eating about half an ounce more per feeding than she usually does.

Interesting thoughts about the teething and the sunshine.
    jet360

Comment by jet360 (original poster) at 7:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• growing for sure. it will pass!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:07 AM on Jul. 18, 2010