PLEASE TELL ME MY SON ISN'T THE ONLY ONE GOING THROUGH THIS!

My son is 18 months old and for the past week now all he will do is go around whinning and crying about EVERYTHING! He was doing so good using his words to tell me what he waned and then BAM! now I have to go through every second of the day asking what do you want or need? use your words please! It is literaly driving me nuts! Is this normal at 18 months or what? If so how long did it last for your toddler?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 2:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It lasted a few weeks with my girl. We kept at it and always told her that mommies couldn't understand whiny voice and if she had something to say to use her real voice and say it without crying.
    Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:36 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• ahh my daughter is starting this i actually just mentioned it to my so today. maybe cause theyre getting close to those terrible twos? idk. i hope it goes away though!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Have you changed anything? My son did that when we started potty training. He felt it was something he could control I think, because suddenly he was on a regimented bathroom schedule. After a few weeks, when the routine wasn't new anymore, he went back to normal. My daughter does this now only when she is throwing a fit. But it wouldn't surprise me if it hit soon as we are starting to get serious about moving her into a toddler bed.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• OP HERE: I started the whole idea of potty training a week and a half ago, maybe thats it? I dunno but it sure is frustrating....plus he started a lil cough today so maybe that too...i just hope the whinning doesn't last long
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• you know what ... i just weaned her from nursing im sure its that. DUH! ha! thanks mom1stepmom1
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It's cuz he knows how to get mommy to do things. I don't mean him whining I mean he knows that if he genuinely pouty you'll give in. Kids are smart!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:48 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It is normal. He is learning to express himself. Just ignore the whining and he will lget the message. Tell him to talk to and he will. It is a struggle but you will get through it.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:00 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My daughter is 17 months and has been doing this for a while. She cant really use words yet, though she tries, but I know what she needs and get it for her and i think that slightly encourages it. Let me know if you find a solution, I think its just a stage though.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 3:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• my daughter does the same thing. she is so funny. only when i am around!! i just tell her to stop whinning and she will usually stop. unless she is hungry or tired. i think it is the start of " the 2s" oh mannnnnnn. lol
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 3:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• yes, my son also started doing this like 3 weeks ago,, especially while we are out! I'm hoping it wont last for long...
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 3:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2010