Need some tips on how to start potty training..

So my son will be 2 years old in August and the last few months I have been introducing him to the potty because he stays dry all night. I noticed he can hold it for long periods of time and shows interest in the potty. I would start by reading books about it and watching videos then I slowly introduced him to the potty. I told him what it is and what its used for. now after a few months of sticking him off and on the potty I want to activly try.I put him on the potty for about 10 mins or so and wait to see if anything happens...well most of the time right after i take him off and nothing happens he pees right into his pullup.. any tips on how to start potty training?

djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 4:08 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I'm still in the process of researching this, cuz my DD is only 14 months, but I would start by not putting him in a pullup. Besides being crazily expensive, the child also can't feel the moisture as well as in a cloth diaper or a pair of underwear. If you think he's completely ready to use the potty, I would put him in undies. Also, make sure to have him go sit every hour. Sometimes they can't tell they need to go until it's too late, so that helps with accidents.
    Another thing to think about is a reward system for going. I'm thinking about using the one m&m for a pee and two for poop. Also, just as an FYI, never punish a two year old for going in their pants, just explain to them that they need to go in the potty so it doesn't make such a mess.
    Good luck to you!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 4:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• yeah i have a chart with stickers that we got from pullups that you put a sticker on for everytime he sits on the potty, when he washes his hands, when he goes in the potty, and so forth...we have been doing that and i will get him some underwear thanks
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 4:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and we haven't started yet. She isn't showing any interest in the potty.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:55 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I do the M&M method. If she pees, I give her 1 M&M and if she poops, I give her 2. It really helps b/c they are good and she knows if she goes potty she will get one. She is not even 2 yet and at home I keep her in panties, but I think she would be 100% out of diapers now if it wasn't for her stupid day care b/c they do not work on potty training her at all even though I ask them to and give them tips; I just don't think they have time too.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• amileegirl, thanks for the link but my son is 2 years old so he is a toddler and I am potty training him. So the elimination method sounds for babies. My son understands just not sure how to start things.
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 2:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2010