How do I get my son to drink water? He hates it!!!

He used to like it, but then when he started choking on it, he's flatly refused. The only time he drinks water is when I mix it with juice :(

graceluc

Asked by graceluc at 4:14 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was going to suggest mixing with juice when I saw the question, but even more so when you said that is how he will take it. There is nothing wrong with that! You could also try flavored water. There is nothing wrong with flavoring water to encourage him to drink it.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 4:16 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• dont offer him anything else

they really only need water...

my dd is strange though, she really only drinks water LOL

she doesnt like milk...(well we dont offer it to her weird story anyway) no choc milk, doesnt really like juice....

just iced cold water! lol

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:16 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• the only thing with flavored water and stuff is the sugars and what not in it... that can dehydrate him...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Thats the problem. Because he only drinks juice and milk, he got really dehydrated last time he got sick. He's skin went all dry even though he drunk heaps!! I want him to get onto water for the next time he gets really sick again. I tried offering him only water, but he can last for hours without drinking and when he does drink, its only a little bit! What do you do???
    graceluc

Comment by graceluc (original poster) at 4:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• hmmm try pedialyte?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:23 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I just give DD water. Every once in a while, I'll give her juice.. and she doesn't drink as much as she does of water. I started this when she was 8 months and starting table food.
    He'll drink what he needs. If he isn't drinking as much water as he does of the juice, then maybe he's just not thirsty enough right then. Only give him water from now on... and occasionally add juice. It'll be healthier anyway.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 4:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Oh yeah, when my DD is sick, she drinks pedialyte
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 4:27 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Perhaps try some food coloring to make it fun? Or give him a different cup, one he'll be excited about. DS LOVES his water, in large part because it comes from a cooler with a nifty button and everything =P We got him some cups last night and he's gone crazy drinking water just so he has an excuse to use his new cups. The oddest things can get a small child excited about pretty much anything =)
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 4:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Try adding less and less juice, more water until he gets used to it.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My kids will ONLY drink water out of a bottle- like we drink... so I buy the 8oz ones for them because they are easier for their little hands to hold. But my kids are like your DS. use to only drink water because I water down their juice- I still do and they are 4 and almost 3...
    jenirjohnson

Answer by jenirjohnson at 11:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2010