How do you get them not to bite?

I'm babysitting a little girl who is quite the terror! My own dd is 22 months, she is a month younger than my dd. She has a problem with hitting, pushing, grabbing, kicking & has just bitten my dd again, this time hard enough to leave a full set of teeth marks! How do I get her not to do this? Her parents have told me I can discipline her, but I don't want to cross the line. Time out doesn't work, obviously, I'm not sure what to do... I need some advice!

momof4qtz

Asked by momof4qtz at 2:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to figure out *why* she is biting. If she is able to communciate with you, it should be eaiser. Some kids are teething and just go at it. Sounds like she knows what she is doing, though. Give her a full day time out where she can play, but not be around your daughter. Maybe put up a baby gate and keep them in separte rooms. Let her know the behavior is not allowed. I hate to say bite back b/c that could just reinforce that biting is OK b/c if you do it then surely she can, right? I worked at a day care and had the same problem. Eventually he outgrow it so there wans't much we did to help beside time outs.
    Anonymous

• STOP BABYSITTING HER!!!!!!!! SHE MIGHT HURT GABBY REALLY BAD AND THEN WHAT. THAT LIL GURL IS A HORROR... LORD HELP HER IF SHE PUSHES GABS DOWN THE STAIR OR WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!
    DEVYNSMOM143

Answer by DEVYNSMOM143 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• man that sucks
    tabbycat551

Answer by tabbycat551 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008