Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help I dont know what to do with her.

I have an 8yr old that gets out of control sometimes. I mean to the point where we are having to either hold her down or put her in a room by herself until she calms down.

Do you think I need to take her to the doctor? I hate to put her one meds. My hubby is/was ADD and he was never on meds.

Thanks for any help you have to give.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (7)
  • Medication is not always the answer, my son is ADHD and I didn't like what the meds did to him. We cut sugar completely out of his diet and it did wonders, he was like a whole different kid, the out of control rages stopped and he started doing better in school.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

  • Not only sugar but also food coloring. Also some of your flour products, THere is herbal items you can take. THey have also have come up with new meds since your husband was tested.

    Answer by Tinkerbell3396 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

  • My 5 yr old has a processing disorder. have you considered Occupational Therapy? There are a number of techniques you can use to help calm her and help her refocus. My girl can get pretty wild sometimes, but a good deep tissue "squeeze" or some hard labor type activities (carrying around a bags of heavy groceries or pushing against the walls) can help her calm somewhat. Have you noticed anything about what starts her episodes? With my girl it can be too much activity around her, or too many choices or even too much light. other ideas for helping her calm down are some of those spiny soft balls rolled on her skin. My girl loves those and they provide a great deal of input.

    Answer by amkarvelis at 11:32 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • I too have had this issuewith my daughter, and do not want to put her on meds. so i started to research ADD. and different types of behaivor that she is having issues with. anyway i know how frustraiting it can be, just hang in there. i also found out that if one or more of the parents have ADD, then the chances of her having it are more. here is a web site that might help. Good luck to you!

    Answer by christina200107 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • My daughter is 8 she is on meds for adhd didn't really want to but had to do to not doing very well in school and at home the fits and out of control has got somewhat better but still some days will be not really out of control just very emtional.

    Answer by mjc3 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • Yes, I think you should talk with her pediatrician because she could benefit in the long run from it. The Dr is where you get referrals to the specialists at, whether it be a dietitian or a therapist. My son had a dx of ADHD at one time but because he had so much rage in him, the Dr. referred him to a neurologist. He had an EEG done and was found to have abnormal activity in the frontal lobes. So, it was there that I then learned he had partial complex seizures. Every kid is different, but I think it's a good idea to speak with her Dr and keep them in the loop of what is going on with your daughter. Any Dr. can suggest the idea of controlling her behavior through meds, but ultimately, the choice is your husband and yours.

    Answer by Bipolarkid at 8:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • Some great answers...I agree meds aren't always the best but for some they are. The diet change might be a good first dye is a factor in a lot of kids too. Make a few simple changes and see what works and don't. Then talk to your pediatrician. Let him know about the hubby...and also the diet changes you made. Who knows the diet change might be your answer. Good luck with what ever you choose to try.

    Answer by Deb128 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.