How bad should the pain be before I go to the er for sciatica?

I can barely walk. More like shuffle around. I feel like theres something moving around in my back that shouldn't be, like my hip is slipping around. My thigh is hurting pretty bad too. A week ago I got a steroid shot in my hip and a scrip for Mobic. I think the mobic was causing me depression and anxiety so I'm not taking any more. I want to go to the hospital, but I don't want to seem like I'm going for nothing. I'd be pretty irritated if they said "heres some ibuprofin, bye!"

FroggyFeet

Asked by FroggyFeet at 8:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Health

• I wouldn't expect an ER to be able to do much for sciatica. You should call your regular doc tomorrow a.m.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:19 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Can you just try the Motrin at home? Ice the area that's bothering you the most.

I don't know if you are currently pregnant or not, but when I had sciatica, crawling was the best I could do to get to the bathroom.

HUGS to you, I hope you feel better soon.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• If you feel it is bad enough, then you should go, only you know how much pain you are in.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:24 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Well, decided to go. I'm glad I did because they gave me some pain medicine. I've tried all the otc stuff and nothing did anything significant. I called my doctor last week to make an appointment. He said it would be 2 weeks before he could get me in. Maybe now I can get some sleep.
    FroggyFeet

Comment by FroggyFeet (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2010