Any advice? AC died.

Our 22000 BTU air conditioner (covers first floor of home, about 1200 sq feet) died last night, after a day of making noises. LOL. We just found the paperwork on it and it is older than some of you, we bought it in 1987. Good grief. Gotta go shopping today!!!!

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 9:25 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• lol - I would KILL for ac right now! Our last duty station was in the Pacific Northwest, and most of the houses there (north of Seattle) didn't have ac, and, at least for the 3 1/2 yrs we lived there, it reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy needed it. Now, we live in Northern Japan and the houses off base have it (most of them), because it gets hot and humid here. But, the houses on base don't have it (and we're not allowed to use window units or anything like that) because, as the base says "The Japanese govt doesn't want us to have it on base here, because it has too much of an environmental impact for them to put ac in all the base houses here, and the base doesn't want the expense".

So, here we are, it's almost 11 at night, several fans going, and it's still like 79 degrees in here :-(

Once you get your new ac, crank it up and cool down for me, too! :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:48 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Yikes!!! run to get replacement!

Answer by older at 9:29 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I am older than your ac!

Answer by older at 9:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It's not older than you though, is it older?
    kjrn79

Comment by kjrn79 (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Gee I wish I was as old as your A/C. I would buy a Plasma.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:46 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Oh, and I'm older than your ac, too ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:49 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• That was a Big unit! We had a 12,500 one it died years ago too. We can't afford to replace it! Sad thing is I'm on Chemo & I get horrible hot flashes.. I'm Sorry yours went out. But it lasted some time! Try maybe Target or some place like that in case there's some left on clearance Sale!! I hate having no A/C in our home or vehicles.. The humidity is unbearable.. We only have one tiny one in our bedroom and it has a hard time keeping up and its a small bedroom. Wishing you the best.. Calling places to get prices is an option! Good Luck! We've bought a few used ones. None ever worked for us! So I'd be leary on used ones!! Good Luck! Hope it cools down your way..
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:55 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• What to do right now.....before you can buy one......bowls of ice in front of fans!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010