does the bible forbid inter-racial marriges?

i was talkin to a woman from a catholic church one time and she said that it does

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Absolutely NOT! In the Old Testament, God forbid Israel to marrying outside their tribe not because of race issues but religion issues. He wanted them to stay within the covenant. No where in scripture does God forbid interracial marriage. He does speak against marrying an unbeliever (if you are a Christian) but that's it. Race has nothing to do with it.

I am in an interracial marriage and you just wouldn't believe the comments (and looks) we get for many different people, due to their stupid religious thinking or their bigotry. Ugh.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 3:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think it did in the Old Testament.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• no. the bible says something about being unequally yoked. some people believe that means race, but it all depends on how you interpret the verse. if it weren't for inter-racial marriages have of the people in america wouldn't be here. i think the verse is referring to being saved or not. its not good to get into a relationship with someone who isn't saved when you are.

Anonymous

• Looks like I was wrong.
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/marracbib.htm
    Apparently it's all in how it's translated.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think people misinterpret the bible all of the time. I would think God would be thrilled to see more inter racial couples. I dont see color of skin being a stipulation God would have put on us as a barrier to relationships. What makes it wrong?
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think when Isreal was still in it's tribes in the OT he didn't want the tribes mixing, but there's lots of stuff in the OT that's not true for the NT. Leviticus talks about not marrying someone of a different tribe or nation, but if you look at what that says, it's still a Jew marrying a Jew, so it had nothing to do with race.
    Anonymous

• its a religion thing not a racial thing

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 3:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Answered at 2:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I think when Isreal was still in it's tribes in the OT he didn't want the tribes mixing, but there's lots of stuff in the OT that's not true for the NT.

I think this is what I was thinking of when I said I think it was in the OT.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• No, God is not against inter-racial marriage. I was actually a member of a church (predominantly white) and this was being taught by someone. I knew she was incorrect and it hurt since at that time I had been in an inter-racial relationship. That is also what caused me to research it for myself... OT and NT. It's sad when people in the church have this opinion and don't bother to really read what it says in the bible and in it's proper context.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Actually God did strike Miriam, Moses sister temporarily dumb for speaking against Moses' wife because she was an Ethiopian. Most Ethopians are a lot darker than the Egyptians of Jewish decent travelling from Egypt to Palestine.
    Anonymous