What's the hardest goodbye you've ever had to say?

Dec 25, 2008 when my dad pasted...

MTM

Asked by MTM at 9:55 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• My sister committed suicide when I was in 7th grade. That took years for me to cope with. I still miss her. I am terrified of my mom passing it will be with in the next year I am sure.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:19 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My husband, on his deathbed
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My Grandpa who passed on 23 December 1988, and my Grandma who passed on 30 January 2002. My Grandpa had Emphasyma, My sis and I saw him the day he died, he was not himself and it was sad to see him in such condition. He died 2hr after we left him, my Grandma and Uncle were by his side.
    My Grandma died of organ failure, my family kept me in the dark about how bad off she was until the last possible minute (dad thought he was 'protecting' me) so by the time I got to the hospital to see her she was out of it not aware that I was even there. She died a few hours later. She waited until everyone left the room and then quietly passed. When we returned Father was giving her absolution/last rites. I am glad though that I had talked to her days earlier (she was still home at the time) we chatted for about an hour and then when we went to hang up we said our 'I love yous' to each other. So at least I have some kind of closure
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:24 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• well i have 2 of them: 1st on was on Mar. 4,1998 when my mom passed away and 2nd on Aug. 2003 (can't remember the day though) when my oldest sister passed away.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• In '08 2 people I loved died. We were there.. How sad it is seeing them dying, like in another world.. Knowing you'll never see them again.. I still weep over them.. I love too deep and all.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Last year when my mom, my best friend, passed away
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:56 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Dec. 10, 2008- my grandmother who passed away
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• May 26,2006- My aunt who I was very close to passed away.
    merebri

Answer by merebri at 9:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• When I saw the last breaths my MIL would ever take. =(
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• There have been a few that were very hard. When my dh was leaving for Iraq and I didn't know if I was ever going to see him again.

Every time I've gone in for a surgery (I have a venal malformation in my head that requires VERY tricky and risky surgery every so often, with a good chance that I will die during it) - telling my kids that I love them, and writing them letters in case I die on the table.

When my grandma (who was my rock during a very bad and abusive childhood) was dying. I was able to fly home to say goodbye, but I wasn't able to stay the whole time. I had to walk out of that room and go back to the airport, KNOWING that I would NEVER see her again - that the next time I was able to come home would be in a few weeks (it was almost exactly 4 weeks after I saw her) to bury her.

I still cry when I think of the surgery goodbyes and when I think of walking away from my grandma....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:15 AM on Jul. 18, 2010