Larger diameter tires on a sedan?

OK, I have an SUV. I bought it because I had to lug my son/ his friends and band equipment around for several years. I don't really need it anymore. He is lugging his own friends and his own stuff around in his own car. But I have become accustomed (and so have my parents) to getting in and out of my SUV MUCH easier than my mom's Impala, because the seats are higher. It's easier for them and for my knees. So, what to do?
Can I put larger tires on a sedan to make it higher for getting in and out (and just generally seeing the traffic), or am I gonna be "stuck" (lol) with an SUV forever? Is there some other "fix" that I'm not thinking about?

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Shopping

• I used to do that. Put larger tires on a vehicle. Not only can it do other things mentioned. It can alter your spedometer as well! No one needs that false sense of security... So for many reasons I wouldn't recomend that! When I did it I was a teenager and I did know better but didn't care.. Also my SIL has a PT Cruiser and I know a firend that had one. They loved them. I don't know if I'd want another 4 cyl. But I wish you the best of Luck! With Chemo. My bones and all ache horribly all the time. I hope you find what works best for you! Good luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• When you put larger rims on any vehicle, depending on how much bigger you go, you may need to have the suspension reworked as well. Larger rims put excess stress on balljoints, tie rods, struts, springs etc. Unless you're willing to make a huge investment in the vehicle you want to raise, you're probably not going to get the result you're looking for - just a costly headache.
    Check out a Chrysler PT Cruiser - it has a Neon engine & chassis, but the seats sit considerably higher than your standard sedan. They have a really cute convertible model too! I'm sure there are others, but that's the only one I can think of at the moment :)
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 10:58 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Your vehicle probably doesn't have clearance for larger tires in the wheel wells which will cause "rubbage" as we call it. The rubbing will pull parts off of your vehicle (I pulled a running board off thanks to "rubbage"). The pp is also right on about the added stress to the joints of your vehicles.
    What about crossovers or Subaru Outbacks?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Thanks both of you! I am looking at the Outback, I'll take a look at PT cruiser too. :)
    kjrn79

Comment by kjrn79 (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2010