Serious question for pro-choicers

Please don't flame me I really want to understand this as someone who is pro-life. I often hear pro-choicers talk about how difficult it is for women to choose an abortion, that it's not something taken lightly. Pro-choicers will also express the desire to reduce abortions overall. Why is this exactly? Is it simply because abortion is a surgical procedure that could have physical complications, or is it something more? If there is nothing immoral with abortion, why should women feel so conflicted in deciding to terminate? I don't feel conflicted in taking birth control pills. It seems like pro-choicers in one instance hold onto the notion that there is nothing wrong with abortion, but say other things that seem to indicate that on some level they might feel that perhaps it's immoral to choose to end the life (albeit immature life) of a person in the making.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm pro-choice and have no issues with abortion. I think there are better choices for birth control methods, but as it's not my body, I don't see it as my place to make that call or judgment on another. I wish people would focus on the lives on children already born and unwanted filling the system, as opposed to fighting to bring yet another life into this world that is "unwanted".
    SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 10:29 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I to am pro-life but 2 good friends of mine are not. Their reasons are Friend A) It's not a baby until God breath life into it at birth (I don't get it) Friend B) She has given birth and thinks nobody should have to go through that trauma if they don't 'want' to. (I feel like you do about BC and common sense)

Disclaimer:: I respect their opinions but I will not agree with them. I do not argue with them. They know my position as well. Mutual respect.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm on the fence between the two. I believe in them for instances of rape,incest and possible serious health concerns for the mother ONLY. I think in any scenario,the mother mourns the loss of their child,but sometimes choices have to be made that are not so easy.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Again there is nothing wrong with abortion it is a personal choice ..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Some pro-choicers feel that there is no moral implication with abortion, but I think you will find that MANY do feel their is a moral issue. Most of those women however feel that the moral is up to the woman and family to decipher. I am personally against abortion, but I'm for pro-choice laws. Why? Because the world is more complicated than my personal set of morals. I actually value all life, I am vegan, but I am not trying to pass laws that say you cannot consume any animal products. I don't want you thrown in jail for not believeing what I do and for doing something different with your body. By the way, if you support pro-life organizations, most are anti-birth-control and believe in no sex education or birth control for those who needed... that means more unplanned pregnancies and more abortions. Everyone's situation is not mine. The only situation in which I would not carry would be life-threatening (like ectopic)...
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• but I have support and personal conviction. If I were an abused drug-addicted woman with no family support facing a pregnancy that would end in an unhealthy child and no support to raise that child or help to eat healthfully, etc, etc I may have a different viewpoint. It's about knowing that our personal morals, convictions, and circumstances are not reality for everyone. Plus, where life begins is hazy and the answer varies from person to person. I feel like there is a big difference between the clump of cells (blastocyst) that forms in the days after conception and a 16-week fetus. I really find it abhorrent to abort a 16-week-fetus, I see it as a baby. But if a woman's birth control or caffeine or breastfeeding another baby or falling down the stairs or taking RU486 causes a fertilized egg to be sloughed out... I don't really see that as the same thing. But many others do, they say its a BABY at conception.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with it. I'm saying that people should have the right to decide that on their own. We have no business telling women what they should and shouldn't do concerning their OWN bodies.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:39 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Just because we're pro-choice, does not mean that we think abortion is a good thing. We just think that women should have the right to choose. There are a lot of pro-choicers out there who would not ever get one.

People feel conflicted about it because it's an extremely life changing decision. Any time someone is forced to choose between 2 options that will dramaticall change their life, they tend to feel conflicted about their final decision. Most women who have abortions, don't feel good about getting one. It's embarassing, painful & a life altering decision.

It's not that we believe that abortions are moral, we just believe that women are free to choose what they want to do with their own body. Many pro-choicers would never ever get an abortion. We would like to minimise the abortion rate, because it's a shitty thing. It would be much more ideal if we taught women how to be responsible & not get pregnant.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:39 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I have often asked myself the very same question: if it is just 'tissue', then why feel conflicted and sad about the procedure? It doesn't make sense, does it? I think also that medical advances have made the abortion issue much more difficult to defend, seeing that babies are being born very prematurely, and can be saved by modern medical advances.

I wish people who support abortion would just be honest with themselves: if they want the baby, it's a baby. If they don't want it, it's "tissue." I also find it difficult to comprehend how a woman who has actually experienced having this 'tissue' grow in her body and emerge to be a little creature with personality, etc., can defend abortion.
    Snu

Answer by Snu at 10:41 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• So... because there is no clear consensus and lots of different viewpoints... it's hard for me to advocate passing laws based on my morals and beliefs. There is more beyond that which causes me to be pro-choice, including the fact that pro-life laws (personhood laws) cause women to have less rights over their pregnancies and birthing options (forced cesarreans have happened).
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 18, 2010