School uniforms... good idea or not?

Do you think school uniforms are a positive thing or a negative thing? Why or why not...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:43 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It would be a MAJOR plus for us.

LESS spent in back to school clothes
    NO debate over what to wear
    NO 'I want a ___ like his!' issues

I do not feel it imposes on independent thinking or style. They can still wear accessories and hair styles and have back packs to decorate and lunch boxes to sport...

Besides I have a dress code wear I work, most places do, some even have a uniform. It's life! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• positive thing my girls wore them 1-8 grade and omg it was one chore lol i was happy to teach them the washed there own close lol.. They learned how to wash clothes theirs was white tops & blue bottoms ..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:48 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• They are a positive thing, everyone will look the same and you won't have to worry about what to wear, great all around!

Answer by older at 10:52 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think it's the only way to go - but sadly our school doesn't agree :-(

It would eliminate a bunch of problems as the PP's have mentioned.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 12:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I can see both sides of it. It supposedly puts everyone on the same level. It minimized distractions. It can mean that parents don't have to worry about spending a ton on school clothes.

However, even with uniforms, you can still sometimes tell who has money and who doesn't. Kids will still be kids and pick on other kids for something. I believe it does stifle a kid's creativity and self expression to some extent if it is done throughout their entire mandatory educational career.

With that being said, my sons will be going to a school that requires uniforms but the school is only for grades preK-8 (but preK does not have uniforms). But that is mostly due to the lack of other good options when it comes to school. I would prefer them to go to a school without them but that isn't an option right now.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I went both to a public school without uniforms and a private school with uniforms. Uniforms are a BIG POSITIVE. So many people judge over clothes. It was horrible especially since we didn't have much money. They would make fun of me for having Target clothes. With uniforms, that never happened once. No one cared about shoes. There was no worry on what to wear, only on if it is washed lol.
    pageantgirl3

Answer by pageantgirl3 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think they are a positive thing. That way everyone is dressed alike and kids don't miss out on learning because they are distracted by what someone is wearing, or be sent home from school because what they are wearing is inappropriate. In the school my mom teaches at they are to wear uniforms and if they do not wear one to school they have to go down to a special closet and wear the old donated uniforms. It also boosts self esteem because kids don't have to worry about what they are wearing everyone is wearing the same thing =)
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 12:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I don't like the idea of everyone being exactly the same, like little clones, but the practicality of it overrides my penchant for individuality. I'd love it if my kids school went with a uniform of khakis and polos and think things would be much easier that way.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• In our city, they've had the public school uniform policy now for about 10 years or more. I think it's a good idea because it does stop kids from picking on other children who are not wearing expensive name brand clothing, but on the the down side- I STILL have to buy normal clothing for the kids because they have to have non school clothes to wear on the weekends and on 'dress down' days at school.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I work for UPS 8 hours a day 5 days a week. We all wear the same thing. I am not stifled and I know exactly what I need to have clean for the next day. I can wear what I want on weekends and after work.

So can the kids. Uniforms are a very positive thing!
    Anonymous