Does anybody still spank bare bottomed?

I know this is a politically incorrect question! It was pretty common in North Carolina when I was growing up. I'm just wondering if anybody still uses bare bottom spankings for pre school age. My son is 4 and has turned into an absolute terror this summer!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not in favor of bare bottomed spanking. There are some good books out there that can help with discipline. Dr Phil's is supposedly great. Find your child's "currency", that thing or activity which is most important to him, and withhold that as punishment. Time out can be effective too. Make the length of time appropriate for his age and be consistent. Do not talk to him if you have to take him back to the time out spot. People give up on time out because the child has to be returned to the spot. It can take a long time before he stays there. Whatever method you pick do it every time and stay consistent and stay calm. Make sure he also is getting enough one on one time with you and hubby. That he is getting praise for the things he does right. And lots of hugs and kisses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I doo spank but I do not spank bare bottom. I believe spanking isn't for the pain, but more the startle of ok that was wrong. I do find that sometimes with my son, who is also 4, if you yell or raise your voice he turns you off basically. He refuses to listen to that. If I sit down with him and talk to him like a normal human being he will listen to me. My husband has yet to figure this out and I doubt he ever will. I think it all is consistancy as well in discipline of any form.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:07 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i have a friend that bare bottom spanks. But she only does it after all other punishments have failed. She has an 8 yr old, 5 yr old and a 2 yr old.
    willysmama

Answer by willysmama at 11:15 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• We did ! Now they are 7&10 and don't need it anymore, but if they did, we would do it bare bottomed, or it's not a spanking IMO.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 12:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• No, I never spanked "bare bottomed"...just how awful is it when there are red marks on little butts? That is not good.
    There is something a little mean and inherently wrong with such things...bare bottom spanking and using a paddle or a switch and it seems I have seen that too often in the Carolinas. They just don't seem to be bothered by hurting kids...and then the kids turn out to be mean kids and mean adults.....it is a never-ending cycle.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i was spanked as a child and i didnt turn into a horrible person. i cant remember having a spanking past 11 years old becuase i didnt do anything bad once i learned that if i do i get spanked! i was bare spanked with a wooden spoon. i knew the concequence was severe so i wouldnt do it. i think its the best way to make a good child. i do and will still spank my children they will/ are respectful because of it!
    loventhem22

Answer by loventhem22 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I was spanked bare bottomed growing up as well. I do spank my children that way but honestly it is rare they need it.
    mama2mytwogirls

Answer by mama2mytwogirls at 1:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010