Would you (or have you) put gps tracking on your child's phone? My SIL and I were discussing this yesterday...

and she said she would most definitely. Her kids are 7 & 9, mine 12 & 16. My DD is taking driver's ed right now, & can get her license in 4 months or so. My SIL says that it's just another tool to make sure you know where they are, and if something happens to them, it's that much easier to find/help them. I don't really know the details of how it works...if you have to look on a computer to see the location or what. I'm thinking she might be right on this, but wonder if anyone has or does use this tool with their child, and do they know you are using it? Thoughts?

dflygirl7

Asked by dflygirl7 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• on their cell? absolutely! in their body? no
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:03 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• What did parents to before then?! Teenagers are going to go out and do things. Parents just have to learn how to trust. The only thing I do like about the phone GPS is if they're in a bad situation & parents can find them if they need help...or if they've been kidnapped or something like that.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I would do it. I wish I could put a chip in my grandson. He has multiple allergies and it would be so much safer if people could have chipd with their medical records. They make them, they are like the ones used for pets. They can have gps. The religious wackos are blocking the use of them because they say they are the work of the devil. I can't believe that life saving technology is being stopped by christian religious wackos.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:04 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Yes, I have it on my 8 y/o phone, no she doesn't know it. You can program in their boundaries on the website and get a text message anytime they go outside the preset area. So if she is walking home from school and decides to take a detour to a friends house, I get a message. I would put it on my 14 y/o phone - but he doesn't have one because he can't follow our rules on anything so he gets no privileges. It is not on the 19 y/o since she lives on her own. However it would have been when she lived in our house. It costs $17 extra per line per month thru ATT.  If she knew it was on her phone, she might not take it with her if she decided to go somewhere she didn't have permission to be, so for us it's just extra assurance that she's where she says she is. Some people may think it shows a lack of trust in your children, I think it just makes good sense to protect them any way we can.

greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 11:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My kids are adult now, but if I had younger kids, and I gave them cell phones. Yes I would buy cell phones with gps on them.

Answer by louise2 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• my daughter is only 3 but when she is old enough for a phone i do plan on putting the gps on it.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• On there cell? Yes. But not so that I can keep track of them. I want to have GPS on ALL of our cell phones because in the case that something were to happen or someone were to go missing, I was to know there is a way to at least find them... We had a local girl here who's car went off the road and down in to a thick wooded area & even with search teams couldn't been seen... It was her phone's GPS that saved her life.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• If the gps is for safety purposes, like the scenario with the car accident, then that is ok. I do not believe it should be used other than that. It is absolutly ridiculous to spy on your kids. If you feel the need to do that, you obviously aren't comfortable with the way you raised your children!
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I did and I do have it on all of our phones. I have an 18 and 19yo's who drive and in the event that I were to be unable to reach them after they were due home (they always call and are never late) I would use it to see where they are. It's alsso good for hubby and I in case of an emergency. I don't use it to check up on anyone, it's there as a safety measure.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• If your child has the iphone their is a an application that u can download or if u have at&t they have a device u can have put on your child's phone i have the application put on my daughters phone and i can monitor her phone calls to see when she is text and talking to her friends. I dont think its spying just think its a dangerous world for kids nowadays, That's just my opinion.

loveit24

Answer by loveit24 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010