parents of teens arent you soooo glad you dont have to deal with....

all the car seat wars?

All mine have been out of car seats for years and years and years... thank God. When they were little, we bought a seat, went to the class, and tha twas that... no one yelling to do it this way or that way or that we were doing it the wrong way. There was one way... did it and that was the end of it.

OMG.... I would die if I had to deal with all those women fussing about it.

However, now Im looking at a teenage driver.... hummm..... on second thought maybe a carseat war would be easier on me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Each age presents it's unique challenges!!! Good luck with the teen driver!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:09 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Things sure have changed but in the same breath they have come a long way. They keep kids safer now. With the increased traffic flow and so many of us commute such long distances on a daily bases, I am greatful for this. I do have teens that do not require car seats, but they do not understand why they can't sit in the front seat. Sitting in the front seat is more dangerous especially if they do not have the height for it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:11 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Lol. I don't know what the big deal is about carseats, they're really NOT that hard to put in correctly.

Teen drivers can be a big challenge. Just be sure you have insurances in order and they're not driving YOUR car lol jk.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 11:11 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Do not have to deal with carseats. But teenagers have there own issues.

Answer by louise2 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Installing the car seats are easier than before. Teens wanting to drive, yes a whole new issue, higher, much higher insurance rates, much more stress!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• There were the same car seat issues when your kids were teens, there just wasn't cafemom. The "car seat wars" may have been started by Dr. Bull at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis in the 1980's. She studies car seats and bike helmets. She has all the car seats made in this big room and is into proper use and promotion. My kids were out patients and frequent in patients at the hospital and she knew me. I have arthritis and she would have me test the car seats for ease of use for people with arthritis. She writes in journals about car seat safety and goes around the country speaking.

There have been "car seat wars" discussions on the mothering.com discussion boards for years, since your kids were in car seats.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:18 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My oldest son is 30 and it was hard to find a car seat then. I had to special order one through a catalog. People held babies on their laps. People breastfed and drove. Yes, they breastfed and drove. It's hard to believe now. I was in an accident while I was breastfeeding and I was in the passenger's seat and seat belted. There were no car seat laws. They say you can't hold a baby in an accident. We had been going around 60 when a truck pulled in front of us. I leaned over and held my baby. He only needed a couple of stitches from broken glass. I had lots of injuries. I had broken bones in my face, broken teeth, my legs were broken, and I was pretty battered and had lots of little cuts from glass. They had to get me out with the jaws of life. The way the accident happened my baby would have been killed if he would have been in the car seat. The State Police took lots of pictures.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I don't have a teen and still don't deal with all that crap! I grew up in the 80's half the time we didn't even have a car seat, you just got belted in... I see no reason for all this extra crap...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• PArt of the details, the precise way to position carseats is due to the manufacturers covering their butts and dumbing-down the directions for people who can't figure out how to install a carseat but could possibly SUE in an accident. The Police Departments will show you the right way too.
    I really am glad I don't have to worry about that either...and all the millions of things that people get wacko about. Like the "Breast feeding" vs "Formula" battle...ohhhh,wow. I was a bad Mom. I bottle fed.
    LOL. But my kids are all grown up and have their own families. WHewwww....and they survived formula feeding and basic carseats. Hehe.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I have a teen and I DO still have to deal with carseats. In addition to my 13 yr old i have a 6, 3 and 15 month old. :)
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010