• In the Spotlight:

does the bible preach against birth control?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you really are serious read Humane Vitae--a Catholic encyclical. It is one of the best things I have read on the subject. I am not claiming either side here--but why did God kill the men who "spilled" their seed during intercourse in the Old Testament. What about seeking God's will in all we do? I am struggling with this so don't blast me:-) I have used NFP for most of my marriage and it does make a marriage better in many ways. There is also the difference between contraception (it prevents conception) and birth control (it prevents a birth). The Pill & IUD's actually cause abortions by not allowing the fertilized egg to implant. Just some thoughts--no one has to blast me for this stuff--I am still figuring it out....
    Anonymous

• Nope. If God wants a baby born, there's nothing you can do to stop it, so even if you were on bc and used condoms and the whole works, He could still make it happen. Nowhere does it say that the sole purpose of sex is to create a baby.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My husband is fixed so I hope not, lol. If it did happen on the off-chance, I'd be ok with it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• then why do some people site religious beliefs as why they dont use it?
    Anonymous

• Some people interpret it that way. Many do not. It's a grey area.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• >>>>answered at 2:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 by: corbysmom531
    Nope. If God wants a baby born, there's nothing you can do to stop it, so even if you were on bc and used condoms and the whole works, He could still make it happen. Nowhere does it say that the sole purpose of sex is to create a baby.

I worked with a lady, her and her husband were VERY religious and they used 4 different types of birth control and still had a baby with each mehtod! lol 4 birth control babies. She said she liked to breast feed for a LONG time because it was the only time she wouldn't get pregnant!
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 3:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• how could it birth control wasnt around back then ....
    Anonymous

• There were forms of birth control around then, just none that were very effective. Exclusive nursing of a child (before it starts eating solid foods) is one that works more often than most others. There is the rythm method, which isbabout 50/50 if done right, and all sorts of barrier methods throughout the years, condoms being the latest.
    Back then there weren't as many people around, and in any case, the bible was written for the Israelites, God's chosen people. Naturally He wanted them to "be fruitful and multiply". Now I should think God would want people to only have as many children as they can raise to be healthy productive, civilized people.
    Anonymous

• i agree with this-if God wants a baby in your life, it will happen. i have 4 kids, i had 2 miscarriages, and i was on BC with all of them.....just call me "fertile myrtle"
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 8:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Yes if God wants a baby in your life he'll give it to you -- that's not the question. The question is should we be trying to go against God's will by using artifical birth control? Doesn't the bible call us to do God's will and not our human will? Why try to impose our will by using aftifical birth control?

The bible tells us that God made us in His image and we are good. So if it's good, why use artifical means to prevent your body from working as God designed it? The bible clearly teaches that fertility and children are a gift from God, why reject that gift with birth control?

That doens't mean we have to have as many children as possible. Natural Family Planning allows people to space births if there is good reason. By abstaining from intercourse when the woman is fertile we're showing respect for the body God gave us and for the gift of fertility.
    Anonymous