Another abortion question

Since there is no consensus as to when life or personhood begins. How do pro-choice people feel comfortable defending the right to terminate something that could possibly be a person? That seems like too big of a possible mistake to just leave up to the opinion of each and every individual woman. The idea that maybe abortion is killing a person or maybe it's not, hey - let's just let everyone decide for herself just seems callous. Personhood might not actually begin at conception. In fact, in my opinion it doesn't. But it's obviously the beginning of the process, and I think it's much more humane to err on the side of safety of protecting the embryo/fetus/baby at all stages untill we have a much better idea of what constitutes life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The people I know who are pro choice don't care when a child is viable or can feel pain. They feel at any point during pregnancy mom should be able to terminate and no one should be able to keep her from that. They feel the unborn have no right to life until they are born. I have no clue how some rationalize it but this is how the people I know who are pro choice feel. Even at 8 months along they feel the unborn child has no right to be born alive it is up to mom.

What I find odd are those same people I know who claim to be pro choice feel the government should regulate what we eat, should force everyone to vaccinate and control our lives in other ways. Again these are just the pro choice people I know maybe that is not the norm.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I would never have an abortion because I believe life begins at conception.
    BUT...I would never tell anyone else to believe the way I do. I am not that arrogant or controlling...I won't force my opinion about abortion on anyone. Nobody should tell others what to do about a personal decision such as that.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I agree, OP.

And Gertie, I'm not arrogant or controlling either. I just truly believe in standing up for the innocent, and I don't think that you can get much more innocent than an unborn baby. It truly has nothing to do with wanting to control what a woman does with her body. It has to do with standing up for the one who has no voice and no say in the matter. And I'm also in no way arrogant about it. My stance comes from neither of those things. Maybe it's that way for some pro-lifers, but not myself, nor the majority of the ones I've known.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:49 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• To put a religious spin on this, I do not believe a soul can die before it's time. I firmly believe that is regulated by God. (I'm not christian btw) Every soul is put on this earth for a purpose, sometimes it's to teach us things about ourselves we'd never otherwise know. I'm pro choice because of this belief; however, personally, I could never have an abortion myself but that's my choice and life lesson. I wouldn't play God and try to teach someone else their life lessons.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 11:54 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I am pro-choice, and I certainly do not think that you should terminate a pregnancy at 8 months. I think a nerve was hit, and that answer came out. I don't know any pro-choice ppl that feel that way. Medically, that is a late term abortion. And there are very few times where they will do those. IDK, like when having the baby will kill the mother. But, I guess, ya'll would rather that chance be taken. But many people don't want to take the time to listen, or to see, all sides to the decision. Maybe it's not just a selfish one. I am on medications for RA, strong medications. And medications for migraine prevention, several meds that would cause serious birth defects. I DID get my tubes tied after my third child. I did as I should have. If my tubes grow back together and I get pregnant, I don't think I could go through with it. I have a special needs son, and 2 kids with ADHD. I have enough medical problems. cont.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My hubby retires in a few years. We have all we can handle. It wouldn't be a selfish reason. We have taken precautions. In fact, I hope to also go back on BC pills, just bc I worry. I know all about Gods will. But I also know about my stress level. You don't know someone's life, why someone chose abortion. You may not know if they struggled with it or not. But you may judge them. You may think horrible things about them, and judge them. Saying all kinds of things, referring to God, and how he wants things. But God judges, not you. God knew what they were going to do, didn't he? Don't you think maybe he helped them come to terms with what they were doing? If you are going to use God and religion, then you better look at it from all directions. Whatever way you are going to look at it, you better look at it from all directions. Because your view is not the only view. And it's not even YOU that in that situation, is it? CHOICE.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• momtolucas you must not know many pro choicers. I don't know ANYONE who is prochoice and for elective abortion at ANY stage in pregnancy.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• "How do pro-choice people feel comfortable defending the right to terminate something that could possibly be a person?"

Because I won't let it be made illegal for a mother to terminate a pregnancy should it risk her life or be the result of a tragic situation like rape.

I don't agree with the use of abortion as a form of BC.. I acknowledge that yes you could be killing a life (pending on the countless definitions and beliefs of when life begins).. however I know that being 100% pro-life means NOT exceptions.

I'm not pro-abortion. I dont' believe in taking a life for no reason. HOWEVER.. I won't tell a mother who has a little one at home and is it sole provider for that child, that she can't have the option to terminate her current pregnancy even though it's killing her.

Being 100% pro-life means that mother can't choose to terminate.. even if the baby is already dying too (with a 99.9% chance of death).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• 100% pro-life in some situations is for the defense of the unborn child.. thus meaning NO rights for the living mother..

that's not what pro-life should be about, however that is the stance that some women take. pro-life should be about ALL the lives involved.. including that of the mothers.

And until we can work together to limit abortions to a smaller number through cooperation, then there isn't ever going to be much of a drop in abortions.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• now we can also get into the debate about cells and life..

the debates about if birth control is a form of abortion

the debates about if a sperm is really a living thing

and so on

if so, the same debate you throw at us could be used.. why chance it? see how extreme issues can make things get a little too extreme?

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010