my grandpa is lonley since grandma died!

she died May 15th the 25th would have been her birthday! :(
everyone misses her i still cry but hes taking it the worse.
Married for 40somehting years and he always thought he'd die first.
im thinking about getting him some kinda mid sized dog to keep him company.
since he calls me everyday needing something crazy..
i love him and him and my grandma raised me as they were my parents,
but my SO doesnt wanna go live there.
i visit and take care of his health needs and everything though.
what else can i do to make him less lonley

Rachelxbby

Asked by Rachelxbby at 11:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It is very early in the grief process for him. It will take a long time for him to accpet this. Don't get a pet for him unless he wants it. It could complicate things. If he needs to just talk, let him. It might be most helpful if you just sit with him for a nice visit. If he can live by himself and do OK he should not move right now or have anyone else move in. I hope there are friends and relatives who can spend a little time with him too. You know him well so just follow his cue if he needs you to visit, etc. And have him over to your house if he likes that and can physically do it. Also, think of any activity he used to do and make sure to ask him if he might want to start doing that agin. You might want to read up on the stages of grief. There are some good books out there or even info online. I am so glad he has you. My condolences. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:48 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I really think that a pet would be a simple answer to try and helf him some. That would give him some kind of companionship. But maybe you should make sure that he is up for the upkeep that it takes to raise a pet.
    candy79556

Answer by candy79556 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Send him to me. I'm lonely. We could hook up.
    Anonymous

• I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandmother,Hon. What about getting your Grandpa involved in a senior's group, or take him to a senior center to meet new friends? If he's able, what about asking him to volunteer at the local grade school listening to kids read, or help with homework? When my Dad passed, I got my Mom involved at my son's grade school volunteer program, and it helped her alot. Maybe he could volunteer at the local hospital. A few of my Mom's friends volunteer at the local hospital. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2010