my son is 2 weeks old and I am breast feeding...

However he still acts hungry ALOT. I am beginning to wonder if he has colic. I spoonfed him rice cereal this am and he has finally calmed down. Has anyone else gave their 2 week old cereal b4?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 2 weeks old, it is totally normal for your baby to want and NEED to eat very, very often! You should breastfed your baby on demand, in order for him to get proper nutrition and to build up your milk supply. He may be going through a growth spurt. Please do not give cereal this young, it can cause many issues, and babies that young can not digest anything other than breastmilk and/or formula anyway.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• At 2 weeks old, your son is SUPPOSED to be hungry ALL THE TIME. What he's doing is NORMAL. Completely, totally, 100% normal. He needs to be on the breast as much as he wants. What he's doing on the breast matters not, whether he's actively nursing or sucking for comfort. HE NEEDS TO BE ON THE BREAST. He does not need cereal, does not need a pacifier. Pacifiers were invented to REPLACE the breast for babies who couldn't be nursed (like orphans).
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:41 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Good for you for breastfeeding!! Those first couple of weeks are the hardest. The baby and your body are both figuring this out and regulating to the child's needs. He also could be going through a growth spurt and working on building your supply. There are average ages a child has a growth spurt, but my 1st and 4th born grew like crazy and had abnormal growth spurts. At the beginning they were nursing constantly the first few months because of all the growing they did. Let him keep nursing and it WILL slow down. At first you feel like a baby is always attached, but your body will catch up to his needs and he will figure out how to nurse better.

I am not a doctor, but I would think you could do some injury to them with rice cereal. The digestive system is still adjusting! Give it some time!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:43 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I never gave cereal this young. Does he accept a pacifier? My oldest needed to just use the pacifier sometimes and that calmed him down. He was nursing every two hours at the beginning. The crying could also be signaling he is tired.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• TAKE A PARENTING CLASS! You do NOT give your 2 week old rice cereal!!!!!! This is not meant to be mean at all - I've just been seeing an abundance of questions from brand new moms who seem to really need some help. Babies stomachs are the size of their fist - at two weeks old that's about an inch in diameter. Therefore they will need to nurse very often. This is completely normal and good for your milk supply. Please do not feed your son anything but breastmilk again until he is 6 months old.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It is normal for them to be hungry a lot in the first month or so until they establish the supply they need. After the first month it gets much easier.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I would never give them cereal that young, and at that age, when I was breastfeeding, I remember them wanting to eat a lot also. Usually about every two hours.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Make sure your son is staying on the breast long enough to draw from the hind milk where all the fat is- that may mean having to rotate breasts per feeding..
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The first couple of months he'll be nursing A LOT! This is completely normal; however he shouldn't be acting hungry right after eating, if that's the case I would go see a Lactation Consultant to make sure you have a proper latch. Do not suppliment any thing for breast milk right now, he doesn't have the right beneficial bacteria in his gut to digest it, so he's not getting any nutriets, so you're making him feel full but not giving him the nutrition he needs. If you suppliment with anything (like formula or rice cereal) you won't establish a strong enough milk supply and will have a hard time keeping up with his demands as he grows. Talk to a lactation consultant before you talk to anyone else, Dr's are not trained in breastfeeding and will just tell you to start giving formula. If you have any questions please message me. Breatfeeding is very important and I'll help you anyway I can. :)
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 11:45 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The two or three months are hard. It's a learning curve for everyone involved including mother and baby. The first few months you are both learning how to be efficient. Frequent nursing also helps you body decide how much milk it needs to make. Giving cereal this young is against the best recommendations and it's going to interfere with your supply and demand. Sounds likr you need some breast feeding support!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2010