Does popping your joints really cause arthritis?

Does popping your joints really cause arthritis? My ankles and knees pop very easily. Standing on my tip toes will pop my ankles, squatting down on the floor can pop my knees. My fingers get really stiff and often feel better if I pop them. Same with my back and sometimes my neck. I'm only 20...How much damage could this be doing? I seen a bone and joint specialist when I was younger and my knees and ankles popping were blamed on being knock kneed. They said both of my knees would to be broken and realigned to correct the problem...and I'm just not ready to do that.

Part of me thinks the popping cant be doing any good. But I've seen my doctor popping her fingers, so part of me thinks it cant really be that bad either!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Health

• Nope, it's a myth
    xoxticiaxox

Answer by xoxticiaxox at 11:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I heard that it causes inflamation of the joints. Not sure if this is true or not though.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think it's a myth
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:49 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• no its just a myth, it is air between your joints, won't cause any harm, just very annoying.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:50 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Actually it's just tiny gas bubbles made up on nitrogen and oxygen between the joints.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:50 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• No it doesn't.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Arthritis IS inflammation of the joints. The space between the joints is very limited, and the "pop" you hear is more like an echo produced by the synovial fluid between the bones creating friction/heat when they rub up against themselves.

In time--from overuse, improper alignment, or intentional movements (like cracking knuckles, neck, spine, etc.), the small amount of cartilaginous "cushion" between the joints, wears away, allowing the bones to constantly rub together, creating friction--which in turn causes heat, swelling, and pain as the swelling presses on nerves, and blood vessels, leading to circulation issues and immobility--whether temporary or permanently.

Hope this makes sense...I have degrees in Sports Medicine and Exercise Physiology! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:56 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• yep it's a myth. Joints pot and creek and grind sometimes. Drink more water will help keep everything flowing smoothely, you'll still hear the pops but your joins won't feel as tight.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 11:58 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It's a myth!
    merebri

Answer by merebri at 12:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• no it does not it just bugs the shit out of parents and teachers
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 19, 2010