How to get a job you KNOW you can do but don't have the experience for?

So I know I can do many many jobs, and I almost want to lie on my resume, because most jobs require common sence...and I figure everything out easily, and most time in the first time I try! Obviously there are more complex jobs that require more knowledge and specific training ie. college/uni.
How would I go about trying to convince an employer I am able to do the job just as well, if not better than anyone else....?

xoxticiaxox

Asked by xoxticiaxox at 12:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• The only way to prove it..is through life experience! You need to be able to say something like...even thought I do not have a college degree, I have demonstrated an innate ability to lead others via my experience doing_____; I have the ability to be budget conscious--decreasing expenses and increasing revenues via my experience with ______ : and handling a variety of customers and challenging situations via my experience with _____.

What MIGHT look "easy" or only haveing to deal with "common sense" only LOOKS that way, because the people in those positions have perfected their skills.

In order to get to those higher positions, you HAVE to be willing to start at the bottom and work your way up...being sure to take initiative to address the areas I mentioned above. A good employer will encourage upward mobility and will offer you promotions based on proving yourself! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Just curious...what job are you HOPING to get, and what has been your work history thus far?
    LoriKeet

• say tht your a very quick learner depending on the job persuasive always say friendly... more convincing words i told someone 3wordsto describe me fun, friendly, and outgoing... later in the group interview he mentioneed something about 1 of my prevoius job and i knew i wasnt getting hired but he made me sit there in the horribly hot room for hours then i was the last person to be told i didnt make it why did he make me suffer? you never know with people
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 12:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• and ik i could answer phone and answer questions then goto someones house and demonstrate and convince them to buy its prolly cos im short and look too nice and have tats on my arms but i had on long sleeves
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 12:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I have extensive experience in reception and secretarial positions, but I am trying to go higher and be a personal assistant. Although my position was labelled "receptionist" at my last job, I really was more of a personal assistant, just making a lower wage.
    xoxticiaxox

Comment by xoxticiaxox (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Maybe you could let them know that you know how to do said job and ask them to hire you on a conditional basis. Give x amount of weeks to prove you know your stuff, and then permanent after they realize that you do??
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• OP--Then on your cover letter and resume (which you should have done professionally) you need to mention all of the job responsibilities you had in your "receptionist" position that MATCH the job requirements of the "personal assistant" position, and WHY you feel you can meet their job requirements and then some!!

The employer knows what they are looking for (job description), if in reading your resume, they say hmmm, sounds like someone who can do the job, they'll interview you. Remember too, in the interview to dress and present yourself as if the job you're applying for is less than you're capable of! Your should be oozing so much confidence that you impress on the interviewer that you can do anything the job requires. Do not present any limitations--with hours, work days, child care issues, etc. Be as open and flexible as possible at your interview--work out the details later, AFTER you get the job!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Your cover letter needs to address your potential employer's "pain". Here is a link to an article that I posted in the Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837/forums/read/11852718/Cover_Letters_Objective_section_on_resume

I do career and job search coaching; send me a message if you have ideas that you would like to bounce off me.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• "say tht your a very quick learner depending on the job persuasive always say friendly... more convincing words i told someone 3wordsto describe me fun, friendly, and outgoing... later in the group interview he mentioneed something about 1 of my prevoius job and i knew i wasnt getting hired but he made me sit there in the horribly hot room for hours then i was the last person to be told i didnt make it why did he make me suffer? you never know with people "

Saying that you are a quick learner is meaningless; saying that you learned a new accounting software in three days, and trained the rest of the staff, has meaning and power.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• "I have extensive experience in reception and secretarial positions, but I am trying to go higher and be a personal assistant. Although my position was labelled "receptionist" at my last job, I really was more of a personal assistant, just making a lower wage. "

Your resume should not list tasks, it should list accomplishments!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2010