cig smoke?

I am allergic to ciggarette smoke and don't want it around me or my child (10 months) My MIL lives in a house that has wall to wall carpeting, rugs, curtains. Everything smells like cig smoke and I always get a headache from staying there even one night. Our family is choosing to stay somewhere else instead of at her house when we go into town. She is very very angry! Even though we told her in a very nice way. Am I being unreasonable?

Asked by maggiebella25 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, you are NOT being unreasonable. The toxins from cigarette smoke cling on and linger in fabrics, walls, carpets etc...

You not wanting to expose your baby or yourself to that is NOT unreasonable.

Answer by Laila-May at 12:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• You are not being unreasonable at all, it is your health and the health of your baby that you are concerned about. You must do what is best for you and your family.

Answer by QandA at 12:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• No i choose the same things.... I (before having children ) once stayed at my MIL's house (same way as you described) and woke up the next morning coughing up blood!!!!!!!!! Just flat out tell her you are very allergic to the smoke! If she cant accept that then oh well- her problem.... good choice momma!!!!!

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• not at all, she should respect you and especially your kids with that kind of stuff.

Answer by xmama_bellax at 12:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Not at all...your health and your baby's comes first. I wouldn't stay there either.

Answer by keyaziz at 12:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I smoke and I wouldn't stay there. lol. I smoke outside when my kids are not around been know to change my shirt to when firends are over with small babies. I don't want my house smelling like an ash tray. That's not cool.

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Not at all...We do not stay with family at all when we visit we book our hotel before we leave home. Even then we have febreze & Lysol in our travel bag..

Answer by MTM at 12:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Nope, I wouldn't want to stay their either. And when it comes to my child's well-being, other people's feeling come second. :)

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Not at all!! I brought it up to my mom one day, how I didnt want my kids in her house if they were gonna smoke in there around them. Anyway, I hurt her feelings and made her cry. I love my mom to death but I grew up around it, smelling like it and having to just deal with it. I DONT want my kids to do the same! She wanted to have my son stay over one night and she would bring him to school in the morning, but I told her I didnt want him going to school smelling like smoke, she said "lots of kids do!" Omg really?? cause I dont want that!

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 2:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• No! I'd do the same thing!

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2010