how old is too old to have a baby? I'm 44 and want a 2nd child.

Married 20 years and have a 10 yr daughter

sparklemomof1

Asked by sparklemomof1 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• then try who is anyone else to tell you youre to old noone. go for it and if you get pregnant goodluck
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 12:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I don't think you are too old. If you feel you can handle this then I say go for it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The risks are higher the older you are but I think past 50 too old. 44 isnt bad!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• sweetie-as long as you are healthy and take some extra precautions-why not?? Your OB will prob watch you a little more and you may have trouble conceiving...if you are serious, make an appointment and discuss it with your doc. Good luck!!!!!
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I was 36 when I had my last baby... if you can get pregnant... go for it.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 12:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• If thats what you would like, then go for it?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 12:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The risks are higher, but you could very well have a perfectly healthy baby. Just talk to your doctor, and if he says it seems fine, go for it if you want to. Best of luck! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i would go for it
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 12:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Not too old if you are in good health. Go for it, mama!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• To be honest, I think 44 is to old. My grandmother was 46 when my aunt was born... In her 50's when she should have been able to focus on her own health and life she was a single mother with a young child. Now at 67, she is trying to deal with failing health and a 21yo daughter who is just reaching the "rebellious" time in her life. My grandmother has almost no hope of living long enough to see her youngest daughter married or with children, and if she does she will be to sick to enjoy them. I know and understand that many women have children in their 40's and are healthy through their 70s, but you never know if that is the case or not... My DH was 17 when his mother died, he had to drop out of college to care for her - she was just under 40 when he was born...

Point is, you want to be here for your kids & grand kids... With every year that chance becomes less and less!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2010