I've recently been prescribed prednisone and was told I'm not able to nurse my 6 month old. What's the best way to keep up my milk supply so I can breastfeed when I'm done with the medication??

xoxneanxox

Asked by xoxneanxox at 12:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pump???
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Yes, I think pump and throw out the milk, sad to say...
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• pump as often as your baby would nurse. maybe even 1 or 2 times more because pumping is less efficient than nursing.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Pump, pump, pump!!!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 1:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• write down a time schedule~you are going to have to be really good about pumping and make it second nature (maybe you will be a good hand expressor~I knew a mom who could express 8 oz right into a glass bottle in about 5 mins). that is a long time to have to pump at full production~but that is what you have to stay at and have time to hold and feed your baby (double pumper for sure).

I wonder if you will be allowed to taper down or off for periods of the steroid~you poor thing~I hope you aren't on high dosing!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• As far as I know, it is safe to nurse while taking prednisone. I would consult with an IBCLC or LLL leader on this matter, or check out the Lact-Med database (by googling lact med). Many many doctors and even pharmacists are unaware that most medications are safe for nursing. In your shoes, I would absolutely get a second, and even a third opinion on the safety of this medication before interrupting nursing because of it.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• You can breastfeed on prednisone, I did it the whole first year with my third child. Part of the time I was on huge doses. I had to be on IV steroids and breastfed in the hospital with pneumonia and septicemia. Steroids aren't a contraindicated drug for breastfeeding mothers. There is no need to pump. The hazards of formula outweigh any risk of any of the drug being in the milk. You can find lists of contraindicated drugs on the AAP website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• You CAN breastfeed while on prednisone!!!! The AMerican Academy of Pediatrics even has it on their list of medications that are compatible with breastfeeding.
    The following information comes from MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS’ MILK by Thomas Hale, 2010. L2, safer; AAP: Maternal Medication Usually Compatible with Breastfeeding; Pediatric Concerns: None reported via milk. Limit degree and duration of exposure if possible. Short term use is safe. Highest concentration in milk one hour after taking the medication. Take right after nursing to reduce amount in milk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2010