Traveling through time zones with the baby?

At the end of this week we're travelling to Montana from Virginia (driving - no we're not crazy - it's actually cheaper) so this is going to be a two time zone change for our little guy (13 months). He's on a really good schedule with when he eats/drinks/sleeps (we've maintained this since he's in daycare during the school year), and I'm worried for what the time zone switch will do for us both going out and coming back. Any mom's done this and suggestions for how to deal with his bed times/feeding times etc??

amw529

Asked by amw529 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Travel

• Babies can get all messed up when they travel. And it takes a readjustment period when they get home. Even if not going through a time change. Be ready to get up earlier the first couple of days. It might be easier than flying though because it is a more gradual transition through the time zones. Relax, go with the flow, enjoy and have fun!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• If possible, could you keep the same schedule as you have now? For example if he eats at 12 your time, then have him eat at 2 eastern time, if he wakes up at 7 your time, let him wake up at 9 eastern time, etc. If this is not possible, then I would just go with the flow and when you get back, work back into the schedule that he had. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• We took our son from Cincinnati to San Fransisco when he was a baby. The first day he was an his regular schedule. the following week we were there he adapted to the other time zone. When we came home it took him a day or 2 to adapt to our time zone again. We just kept him doing his regular things and woke him up at home when he used to wake up before vacation...Have fun on your trip!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 1:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I flew with my 3 months old from germany to arizona ...... I just kept her on her schedule as if we were here at home and she made the adjustments on her own
    Alysgrowth

Answer by Alysgrowth at 12:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• We do this quite a few times in a year jump back and forth and back again. The kids do a lot better than I do. They tend to turn their time around without any problems. I am not sure why I tend to think that they kind of go along with the sun and since it is different they react to that. We do the driving and plane thing and it does not seem to make a difference as to their readjustment period.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i went from florida to oregon and both ways it took my daughter about a a week to get back on track
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 12:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• went from ga 2 co and dd made the adjust but we kept her schedule.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 3:22 AM on Aug. 29, 2010