Do You Think The Iternet Has Made Us More Or Less Intelligent?

I think the internet has made us smarter because it means we are more exposed to more points of view, people and that human intelligence is based collectively on communication which the internet opens up.

But I also think that not everyone has enough common sense to check up sources and always be critical on what they read which leads to a lot of people ignorant enough to believe everything they read.

keyaziz

Asked by keyaziz at 1:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Definitely smarter.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 1:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It has made us more, the amount of information in the net is incredible!!!!!!

Answer by older at 1:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Definitely smarter. Any question I have, all I have to do is google it,then find an accurate source for the info, lol. You can find out ANYTHING on the internet. There has yet to be a question that I've had that the internet could not answer. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Intelligence isn't something that is taught, gained or lost... It's simply our mental capacity to learn and retain facts and information. So, No. I don't. However, I think it's made many people lazy. While some of us use the internet as a way to gain more knowledge, many use it as a way to avoid having to do so... I don't think it affects anyone intelligence, but it in many ways does affect their education...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Definately smarter, I love all the information that I am able to find on the internet.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 1:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think it has done both...if you're smart enough to learn from the internet then it has many things to teach us. However there are those out there (my best friend) who think they are smart and argue about information they hear on commercials or youtube or facebook. Those people I don't think benefit form the internet.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 1:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It's done both.
    For some people, it has expanded their minds, introduced them to new concepts/ideologies/philosphies/ways of life..etc. And they have chosen to seek out that type of information. They have chosen to learn from that information.
    For some people, it has made them more dependent on the thoughts of others, the viewpoints of others and in some cases, some have lost basic common sense because they no longer really need to "think". They can just log onto the internet and get someone else's answer/opinion for/of something and they call it good with that.
    It all depends on the individual and how they choose to use the internet. And what they choose to take away from it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think it has exposed us to a great amount of information with relative ease. Libraries, books, newsprint, and other media sources are great, but require greater time and effort to extract and decipher information.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My husband and I use the internet for looking things up.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Not smarter, but people have more general knowledge. However, that comes at a price. In depth knowledge of a subject is left in the dust. On the internet, people skim and read for pertinent facts without fully understanding the subject matter.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2010