Ladies that have husbands that have been deployed...

So, my husband is deployed to Kuwait, for 6 months. (He works on military vehicles, he's not in the military) I was just wondering, to all of you ladies that have husbands that have been deployed before, HOW DO YOU DO IT? I'm so heartbroken! I feel absolutely lost and sad and loney without him! As cliche as it may sound, I feel like a half of me is missing. :( I don't want to get used to being without him, because I LOVE BEING WITH HIM! I just want to know what you all do to make things a little easier!? We do vido calling almost everyday, and that's a huge blessing. I just hate how disconnected we seem to be! We've been together for almost 10 years(since we were 16) and have hardly spent more than a week apart! So far he's been gone 41 days! We got a ways to go! I swear it seems like it'll never get here!!! Also, is it hard to adjust once they get back home? This whole situation is making me crazy! CONT'D

MacyKaysMommy

Asked by MacyKaysMommy at 1:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Just don't think about it so much. You're lucky to have him call every day. When my husband was deployed last time I was lucky to hear from him twice a month by phone. If you continue to think about that harder it's going to be. Just go about your day as if he was still there. As for when he comes home, he's a civilian so I don't know what they see over there but the military men/women sometimes have a hard time adjusting and he may too. You'll be independent and he's family free for 6 months so it's going to be hard for him to go straight back to being a family man. Don't expect him to be himself and do the things he did while he was home right away, give him time to adjust. Keep yourself busy, get a new hobby. I kept myself busy by going back to school, this time (hubby deployed a few days ago) I'm getting a job. Good Luck mama.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm so afraid things will be awkward when he gets back, since we've been apart so long! I'm sorry this post is all over the place, I guess I just needed to vent. Oh, also, how does/ did it effect your children ? Our 2 year old baby girl misses him soo much too, of course! She tells me every day, at least a half a dozen times, " I'm ready for Daddy to come home," Or "daddy doesn't need to work anymore!" :( I ever knew she would miss him like she does being so young. Will it be hard or her to adjust to him being back? Thank you all so much for any help, and for listening to my rant!!! I"m just having a really hard time today, I guess!

MacyKaysMommy

Comment by MacyKaysMommy (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My husband is not deployed yet but will be soon. The best thing to do is to keep yourself busy. 6 months really isn't that long (that's what I keep telling myself). DH will be gone for 6 months. My brother however, will be gone for 18 months, missing the birth of his second child. So I keep telling myself that I am lucky that it's 6 months. Give yourself a goal while he is gone to keep your mind off of it. I stopped my weight loss and it's on hold so that once he leaves, my goal is to finish weight loss and to get toned up. It's hard. I remember my parents being deployed. I just lived one day at a time. GL momma. Do you write to him, like actual letters through the postal office? That may help too.
    pageantgirl3

Answer by pageantgirl3 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think the first little bit of time is the hardest. I allowed myself a few days to just get my emotions out, then pulled myself out of the slump the best that I could. I made sure to stay extra busy during the day, because I knew at night was the worst. I started getting ready for our baby to come, which kept me busy and towards the end, the time started flying much faster. I worked more hours. I usually wrote him every single night and then mailed a few of the letters at a time. I'm glad you have video calling!
    We didn't have that. I was lucky to hear from my husband a few times on the phone since it was so expensive. Take that as a major blessing. I know when my husband got home, it was a little akward at first, but then we got back into the swing of things. ;) I hope for your time starts going by faster, and a safe trip home for your husband. Take care and thanks to you and your family.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010