how big of deep freeze do u have and how big is ur family?

im going to buy a deep freeze next month and not sure what size to get. we are a family of 5 -2 adults, 3 kids.
also any advice on what to get is welcome, or things to think about when gettin one

gothmama91

Asked by gothmama91 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We're a family of 5. Myself, my husband, and 3 children (5, 2, 2 mos.) We have an 8.8 cu ft Kenmore chest freezer. We got it from Sears and we've been pretty happy with it. We made sure to get one with a lock so that the kids can't climb inside of it (the key hangs up high on the wall next to the freezer so that we can easily get it but the kids can't.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the temperature gauge is on the outside of the freezer, so my 2 year old was turning it off. We ended up taking off part of the cover and taping a piece of cardboard down over the temperature gauge, then putting the cover back on over it. Now we don't have trouble. :-)

It's a manual defrost, which is what I wanted. I've found that the auto defrost ones don't tend to preserve food as well because of the temperature cycling to prevent frost buildup. The drain uses a standard garden hose.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 1:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• We have 2 freezers. One is a chest type and the other is an upright. When all 3 of our children were at home, one was not big enough to hold all the garden produce that we grew to feed them throughout the year. We probably don't still need them both, but we still have them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Ours has a lock on the front (I love IT!)
    I am not sure of the exact size but I do know it's the smallest one that they make and it's perfect for our needs.
    We just needed to stock up on some meats and veggies. Plus it really helps to be able to lock up frozen treats or whatever
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 1:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010