Is it better to raise a child in a strict religious enviroment...

...where they follow out of duty? Or to raise them w/o religion in order for them to find a path they will follow out of love - even if it's not your path?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It's better to teach them your beliefs and so ground them in the faith. They will follow out of love if you do your job correctly.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think the best way would to raise them somewhere in between those two. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Excuse the dyslexia... That should say ENVIRONMENT...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My personal thoughts.

My child is not me. He will not have the same views I have, the same feelings, the same thoughts, the same outlook on the world. HIs beliefs will be shaped by his own experiences, his own thoughts, his own feelings. Therefore. It is not my job to instill MY beliefs onto him. I see it more of my job to expose him to, encourage him to learn from, and encourage him to experiences different beliefs systems so that HE can form his own path. I can not make him believe anything. But, I can help open up the world of different beliefs and ideologies to him so that he can develop his own beliefs and his own path in life.

So for me personally. And with my son. It was best not to raise him in a stict religious environment so that he could develop his own beliefs. Which he has. And he has decided at this point in time in life to be a SIkh like his father. And I'm cool with that.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Personally I think the strict religious upbringing strangles the spirit of the child(ren). If your goal is to break their spirit, then go the strict route, otherwise, don't destroy your child's spirit.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Well said pixie trix i agree 100% Good job..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 1:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Our family didn't go to church on a regular basis and not at all after I was a teen. But we did discuss many of the things taught in church such as knowing the difference between right and wrong, being hnest, not stealing and lyng, nogt hurting others, loving others, the value of work and providing for yourself and your family and not having sex until marriage. I think my parents raised us very well. We were responsible and honest and didn't get into any kind of trouble. We trusted ourselves to do the right thing without being frightened into behaving. Kids who behave out of fear never learn the right way to live or develop a conscience.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My sons are welcome to believe as they want and I think its okay. I know they know where they are going I plant the seed together and independent they seek wisdom as a parent for me its not to provide a whole thought but a seed and nurture it together and by themselves.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I believe any strict environment is counter-productive.  It is stifling and leads to rebellion.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• personally I will expose my child to my religion (pantheist) and as they get older expose them to others also and let them chose their own path.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2010