weaning baby off breast?

my baby is almost 3 months and i have been breastfeeding with an occasional formula bottle here and there so my baby is use to both forms of feeding... i enjoy breastfeeding her but its not always smooth, id thought by now shed be a pro at nursing. when shes half asleep she latches on and nurses till she is full but when shes awake she doesnt feed very long, latches and unlatches, and doesnt seem fully satisfied and fusses. also i dont feel my body is producing as much milk as it was in the beginning, especially one breast(which now, we hardley ever nurse off of because of low milk supply) im thinking i should just wean her off breast and exclusivly bottle feed..it would just be alot easier i think (for her and me) do you think its to early to wean her? or have i breastfeed her long enough for her to get what she needed from me? (dont knw if that made sence)

cnv13085

Asked by cnv13085 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 3 months, you've done a great thing for her by nursing. If you stop now, she will still benefit from the milk she has already received, but the benefits will continue for as long as you nurse. Also, just FYI, just because she is a quick nurser, does not mean she's not getting plenty of milk. As babies grow, many become more effeciant at the breast, consuming a few ounces in just a few minutes. Feeling full/empty really doesn't mean much either. It's up to you whether you continue or not, but if you are nursing, and changing 6-8 diapers in 24 hrs, and baby is growing/meeting milestones, then she's getting plenty. I just don't want you to make your decision based on you thinking you're not producing enough, when it's likely that you are.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The benefits last as long as you nurse and never end until you stop nursing so yes she has gotten some beneifts but there is never an age where they have gotten all the benefits they will ever get out of nursing. I personally would drop the formula all together and nurse on the lower producing side as much as possible to up production. As for the issue of not feeding and fussing more when awake that is very common because they are finally discovering the world around then. Your body makes what the baby needs and it is supply and demand so the less you nurse (more formula you give) the less your body will make. After the first month or so you no longer feel engorged. As long as little one is having 6-8 wet diapers a day they are getting plenty of milk no matter how your body feels.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• You have some wonderful answers here from some wonderful ladies! It's wonderful that you've nursed her this far. It's very common for you to hit bumps in the road every now and again and the three month mark is typically one of those times. It may seem easier to switch her to bottle, but that means buying the formula, always having everything you need to make bottles, having to get up to make bottles instead of just latching her on at night, having to clean everything. It's a lot of work and is expensive to formula feed! Breastmilk is also made specific for each baby, whereas forumla is not. You know every time your LO nurses she is getting exactly what she needs, including antibodies, beneficial bacteria, special hormones, and who knows what else (we still don't know all the great stuff in breastmilk). I know you know this, but it's so worth it to push through the bumps. *hugs*
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 3:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i wouldnt give up yet mama!
    keep nursing, cut out bottles and your supply should get better, make sure your drinking plenty of water too
    im sure lits more advice will come too :)
    hang in there, nursing is hard work but soooo worth it!
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 1:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• my advice is to do what you think is best, but also for your one breast with a low milk supply, try and pump it, as often as possible, such as while she is feeding on one side, or while she is napping, this will help increase the flow, since it will send messeges to your body to say to produce more. Good Luck, if you do choose to stop, formula has so many things she needs and will get and is 2nd best to breast milk and will keep your baby happy and healthy :)
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 1:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• While it is GREAT that you have breastfed her for 3 months, she will get all that she needs from you as long as she nurses! I would say drop the bottle feeding. That is most likely why she doesn't nurse well when awake. Bottles deliver the food much quicker than the breast and when fully awake she probably wants the ease of a bottle. Take away the bottle and she will quickly go back to nursing well of the breast.

(I had that problem with my daughter when she was about 6 months because I switched to a bottle when I got pregnant and my body wasn't producing much milk. She would stay on my breast if she was tired and falling asleep, otherwise she was not very interested in it.)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I just want to add one thing to the great answers and advice above. When a baby starts pulling off the nipple and fussing a little bit and generally driving you crazy, it's a signal to your body that she's about to go through a growth spurt and to begin producing more. I think that cutting out the bottle and nursing on demand will solve your problems and ensure that she gets the absolute best.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I say do what is best for you but breastfeeding as long as you can benefits the baby. I would try to pump that side you don't run out you always make more the more they need the more you make. Also if when awake she seems detracted try to sing talk play with her exc.. make eye contact so she wants to focus on your time as well as her feeding. Good Luck in what ever you decide.
    Melissa0930

Answer by Melissa0930 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• well the longer you breastfeed, the better it is. & the more breast milk, the better. WHO recommends at least 2 years. AAP recommends at least 12 months. are you pumping when you give formula, and when you don't nurse w/ the one side? if not your supply will surely suffer. GL!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It won't be better for your baby if you wean, no matter what spin you put on it. Giving bottles causes breastfeeding problems. Stop the bottles and the problems will most likely stop. Babies don't need to be "used to both methods."

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding at least 1 year, the World Health Org recommends 2. Premature weaning has lifelong health consequences for you and your baby. It has developmental and many other consequences for the baby. You will never forgive yourself if your baby gets cancer or another disease that could have been prevented by breastfeeding.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2010