Desegregation today?

In the annals of desegregation, Raleigh is barely a footnote.

Integration came relatively peacefully to the North Carolina capital. There was no "stand in the schoolhouse door," no need of National Guard escorts or even a federal court order.

Nearly 50 years passed — mostly uneventfully, at least until a new school board majority was elected last year on a platform supporting community schools.

The result has been turmoil.

The superintendent resigned in protest. A coalition of residents and civil rights groups filed suit. Months of rallies, news conferences and candlelight vigils against the feared "resegregation" of the state's largest school district culminated in the recent arrests of four activists for refusing to vacate board members' chairs.

Locals are lecturing Northern transplants about the Jim Crow past; white school board members are quoting Brown v. Board of Education to the NAACP.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think for the parents it's about the bussing of the children.

I think for the schools it's about the money.

maybe they could come up with a compromise to fund all the schools equally...then it wouldn't matter who went to which school, right?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Ok sweet, stay out of my state. The issue in Raleigh isn't as "cut and dry" as busing to achieve racial balance. They draw and redraw their district lines every year. Sometimes they redraw them during the school year. The US Supreme Court has ruled that equal education does not mean racial balance. It means that all students are being given the exact same opportunities and equal dollars spent. Wake county has realized after 10 years of trying that the population ebbs and flows so quickly that they couldn't keep up. It isn't segregation. It was costing too much money to continually redraw lines. I live 45 minutes from Raleigh. I am a school teacher at a school that is 98% minority. It isn't more whites in the school that would make it better. It is more parent involvement. Leave my capitol alone.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think people should stop crying wolf on the racial issue. Racism will never end otherwise.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Lovin, you have a point.

When I used to complain about our old school district, I was always told to move to a better one. People buy and sell houses depending on how good the schools are. For many people, having a school within walking distance is a bonus.  No one wants their kids to spend hours in a school bus to get to school.

While I do see it is unfair to have over-crowded schools, I don't necessarily see racism in people not wanting to bus their kids across town to poorly performing schools.  Parents with resources will abandon the poorly performing schools; that is only natural.  Who honestly wants their kids to go to a poorly performing school? 

The schools need to be improved, period.  Busing does not do that.  It's only a small bandaid on a open wound. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It will never end because of people such as yourself who thing all Muslims are Terrorists....so i don't really take your statement that seriously about ending racism
    You really aren't smart enough to get the point of my question yesterday? It was about liberal hypocricy NOT Muslims. No i don't believe ALL Muslims are terrorists. But I believe that dpecific element is the reason LIBERALS (but again not all)support them, yet condemn Christians with many similar beliefs that go AGAINST the liberal mindset. It gives then a "blame America first" cause.

I have LEGAL immigrants from Mexico across the road , another family who's property is next to mine, A Lebanese immigrant down the road and A Filipino immigrant SIL and 1/2 filipino 1/2 white nephew and niece (and gee, the nephew is also gay and a fashion designer for Donna Karen) my nieces husband is 1/2black 1/2 filipino and have a son and They would all laugh at YOU for
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• thinking me racist or anti gay or whatever chip you happen to have on your shoulder at the moment. I hear my cries of racism from you in a week than I have ever heard from them all put together.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I can't digest that article at all. It might be because I'm getting slapped in the head with a lady bug while nursing a baby. Is it possible the parents really don't like the long bus rides? Have any of them said that they don't want their children to go to school with black children?

Are we seeing racism where there is simply inconvenience? I have to read it again. I don't know.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Hmm, here many in the black community is insisting on black-only schools with black teachers. They don't want their kids going to school with white or other races of children. They feel their kids will learn better from black teachers and sitting next to a black child.

I think busing is odd, unless it's to go to a specialized school, like arts, dance, science etc.. I wouldn't want my kid on a bus to another neighbourhood. But, I also think that government funding should be equalized by student numbers. Yes, there will always be parent fundraising that creates an "unequal" situation, but the basic funding should be equal.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 4:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Well said Jesse, and good counterpoint mansco. Both show the reason I stated what I did on my first reply before sweet jumped me with her Al Sharpton act.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Sweet, I do know what I am talking about. I live in NC. I live 45 minutes east of Wake county. I listen to the argument on the nightly news out of Raleigh. I have had to listen to it for years. I read the News and Observer. I have a friend who works at the NC Dept. of Pub. Instruction. She discusses this with me often. I have friends who teach in the Wake County School system. I know more than what you read in a paper. Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you make such statements. This is my state, my community, and issues that effect people I know. How about you.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2010