Foster parenting? Can someone tell me about the process??

My dh and I have decided no more bio kids but that some day we may want to foster children. Can someone tell me about the process and requirements of foster parenting. what is involved and such. Thank You:)

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 1:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Adoption

• We went through an agency and did all of our training. We chose them because they specified that you had to keep your foster children for as long as they were in the system- until they were reunited, off to relatives, or adopted. They also only did 0-2 yrs old. Not to mention we liked that they did personalized support. So we went to orientation, did training, background checks, home inspection, interviews, mental health exam, health exam, fingerprinting. All in all, we were ready within 5 mo. We got licensed and our first placement the same day. The next week we got a call that FS was going home, but there was another baby that would be quickly reunited. Yeah, he's now our DS =) We decided to just go straight adoptions next and had to redo everything with the county, another 5 mo and then waited 10 mo for him to come home.
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 2:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I don't know many of the details myself but there is a wonderful group on here. just do a group search for adoptive and foster parenting. They are very informative and tell their stories so you can get the feel of what you may have to go through in the fostering process.
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 7:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• We contacted our local CPS and asked when the next training sessions were. They gave us the date of orientation which explained the process, and if we were interested, then we signed up for classes. They were weekly for 10 weeks and a couple of Saturdays. Everything you need to do, they will prepare you for. We had to have our house inspected by the Fire Dept, Health Dept (there are checklists for what they are looking for), we got certified for CPR & First Aid, child-proofed our house, etc, but it was all done over the period of 10 weeks. After our home study was approved and our criminal backgrounds & fingerprints were received, we got our license. We could have gotten a placement sooner, but had a vacation planned, but our first one came in a month.

Are you more interested in fostering, adopting, or both?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:28 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• doodle,we are interested in the possibility of adopting but want to start w/fostering. Can you tell me your experience?
    momthruivf

Comment by momthruivf (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We had tried fostering in between our kids, but DS had such a hard time when the baby left we decided to just go to straight adoptions after that.
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 2:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2010