Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Single mom to 5 month old in Arizona and dad wants sole custody?

Can the father of my child get sole custody if we weren't married? He has an attorney and I don't because I can't afford one. Thanks.

Answer Question

Asked by justmeandbrooke at 2:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 3 (26 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • He would need substantial evidence proving that you aren't fit to have custody of the baby. When a baby is that young, they usually prefer the baby to be with the mother, unless she is proven unfit.

    Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

  • Az is a mother state. Meaning unless he proves you are a druggy, abusive, or completely unfit, he doesn't stand a chance in hell. Especially with a child that young. I'm in Az if you need any thing else on this, PM me. I'm more than willing to help out,

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

  • Not likely. He would have to prove you unfit...and that is really really hard to do unless you have a crack problem.

    Answer by salexander at 12:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.