What is your opinion...Is it better to leave a computer on all the time or shut it off when you aren't using it?

Cochise

Asked by Cochise at 2:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Entertainment

• Hibernation uses the most system resources. My cousin, the computer guru/whiz guy, who runs his own company says to leave it on all the time, no hibernation. Just turn off the monitor. You can read this too. It helps you calculate how much energy your PC uses.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• shut it off when you aren't using it ..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 2:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I just put mine in sleep mode when I'm not using it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Neither... It takes almost as much energy to restart a computer as it does to run it all day. However, if you put it in to sleep mode when you aren't using it - unless of course you will have it off for a few days - it saves the most amount of energy, because it stops the computer from sucking energy when not in use and stops the computer from having to be started over and over. It's also going to help with the life of your computer...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Shut it off at the end of the day. It's okay to leave it on if you use it throughout the day, but leaving it on for long periods of time (even if it's in sleep mode) can effect the hardware. I used to leave mine on all the time, and ended up frying my video card because of it. I imagine it could be potentially damaging to the motherboard as well. Too much heat would be generated, and unless you have a super fan in there, it won't be able to remove all the heat efficiently if it doesn't get a break.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• my desktop i shut off at the end of every day..however, with my laptop, i never do...i wouldnt turn them on and off all day long for whenever i was using it, to muc of a time waster..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Well apparently it uses less electricity if you keep it on..as start up takes a lot..so if that is true then I think its better to leave it on if you are going to end up turning it on again later in the day or use it fairly frequently. If you use it once a day I would turn it off.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm not sure which is actually best, but I usually leave it on all the time.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I just have always wondered what was best for the life of the computer.I really don't care as much about the electricity used... I care more about the wear and tear on a computer...and if it better for the computer itself to leave it on.
    Cochise

Comment by Cochise (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Shut it off when you're not using it. It help save energy.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 2:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2010