Homemade babyfood??

Does any one make their own babyfood? I am trying to get myself to do it, mainly to give him hte best that I can give.

Does any one have any tips to make it easier?

brannen

Asked by brannen at 3:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• buy a great steamer and a great food processor. it is easier at that point
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I have two really good books: "Homemade Baby Food: Pure and Simple" by Connie Linardakis and "The Basic Baby Food Cookbook" by Julianne E. Hood. They pretty much explain everything, and it looks simple (mine isn't old enough yet). I also found a cuisinart blender and food processor in one at Sam's Club. Don't be intimidated! You can make a bunch and freeze it. Not only is it better, but it's tons cheaper! Good luck!
    ariel08

Answer by ariel08 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Use a ice cube tray to measure out the servings Freeze in the tray and then transfere to a freezer bag Then when you are ready to make them you just take how ever many cubes you need and defrost in the sink or microwave. Just watch out for hot spots with the micro.
    You don't have to have a steamer but it does help I just boiled all of my fresh veggies in water until soft and then food processed it. Bananas don't last long in the freezer they turn brown so only mash them when you are going to use them/
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 3:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/6923
    I love this group!!
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I did make my daughters baby food at home (and it gets tiring, but it is way less expensive and the nutrients are much better than jar food.) You can make any veggies basically if you boil them and make them soft first. Then you blend them and put it in an ice tray and freeze it. When it is about feeding time take out 1-2 cubes and thaw them out in a bowl (do not microwave) You have to think all veggies/fruits have different nutrients that baby needs(i.e. carrots vitamin A, Potatoes, tomatoes, Bananas Potassium, etc...) I made her squash, green breans, mashed potatoes (always make these fresh though) carrots and fruits that blended well like apples without the peel and core and bananas and peaches.... and it is roughly 1/3 the cost of buying jar food!! Just remember you're doing the best you can for your baby...and saving money in the process. that was my motivation.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 5:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Try cooking whatever you're making for the rest of the family (try to separate it before you spice it up). That way, your kid gets used to the kinds of foods you will normally be making. Get some little food storage trays (here's one idea-http://www.mypreciouskid.com/baby-food-cubes.html), because they're easier to take with you places than using an ice cube tray.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:46 AM on Oct. 2, 2008