Why do people...

blame the bank when they overdraw their account?

Don't people know how to keep track of checks and card purchases in the register that the bank gives you? It's really not difficult, simple addition and subtraction.

And don't just assume money will be in on a certain day (direct deposits and such) as there can always be a problem. Only spend what is actually in the account at that time. Don't go to the store with $5 in the account, buy $100 worth of stuff thinking your deposit will go in before the purchase comes out!

DarkFaery131

Asked by DarkFaery131 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• clappingHELLO!!!! that's what i was thinking!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Because shit happens :) even the people who are great with money have accidents
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 2:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I have an alert and I check online to make sure I have the funds.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Sometimes your account doesn't get updated straight away so it can be deceiving and you think you have more money than you have.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I agree with you, but it has happened to us as well...not to that extreme with $5 in the account and purchasing $100 worth of stuff. In a perfect world people wouldn't have overdraft fees, but in the real world when you have children and family's you need things and sometimes you do try to get the money deposited before the purchase funds go out. It was our first and only time doing that and they reimbursed/refunded our over draft fee.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• When I first opened a business account I have trouble keeping track of everything first as there was money come in and out frequently. Luckily my bank is awesome though.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• but that's why you check available balance and compare to your register so that you can figure out what has posted and what hasn't yet so that you KNOW what you have to spend.

If you keep an accurate register and keep track of available balance after a deposit (such as depositing a paper check) you will never over draw your account.
    DarkFaery131

Comment by DarkFaery131 (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• ryanlynn - an accident is one thing, and that's fine, I'm just referring to the people that blame the bank for their problem.

Sure, I've overdrawn my accounts a time or two, but never once did I blame the bank. I knew darn well it was my own fault.
    DarkFaery131

Comment by DarkFaery131 (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It depends on what happens. If I spend more than I have, it's my fault. But if the bank goes against their own rules and causes the account to overdraft even when I have NOT spend more than I have it's their fault. That's actually what I'm dealing with right now. I put my check in & checked to make sure it was "available" before spending my money... The check cleared and then they charged us 3 overdraft fees ($39 each) BEFORE any of the checks went through - even though the account was not overdrawn. THEN when the checks went through and overdrafted, I was charged AGAIN for each of them... I ended up with 7 overdraft fees for only 4 checks and then $5 a day until I was able to pay off that dept... When I went to the bank with my printed statement (from THEIR online banking system) and my checkbook with all the dates I was told "We're sorry, this happens when you spend your money too quickly, there's nothing we can do"

cont..

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• This is the THIRD time it happened this way in less than a year. The FIRST time they refunded the original OD fees that went through, but even though that meant none of my charges would have bounced at all, I still had to pay for those fees...

We not only left the bank, but we are filing a lawsuit if they don't fix the issues. I put in enough to cover my checks... I waited til it cleared according to their system... I did not spend more than I put in... THEIR computers screwed up & I'm tired of paying for it!

Apparently what happened was their computer listed my Check as "Cleared" on MY end after 24 hours, but didn't show up that way on THEIR end for 72 hours and it was "pending" when my checks came in, so they added OD fees even though the Check STILL cleared before the payments did...

Either way, not my fault... Theirs!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2010