What do you do to save energy?

I unplug my appliances when they're not being use except for the fridge and the phone.

Cassandre

Asked by Cassandre at 2:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I cut everything possible off.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I keep the light off the rooms we are not using.
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 4:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I cook in bulk. If I need to turn the oven on for something, I manage to get five or six things cooked out of turning it on. Helps with the heat, too, and not overworking the air conditioners.

speaking of which, I only cool the house till it's tolerable, not till it's cool
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I try to do my wash at night use the dishwasher at night I pretty much do everything at night bc by then the kids are asleep and I can do my housework with no interruptions...lol but I have heard if you do your dishes and wash at night you save energy.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Every day we have a "No Power" hour, meaning we use no elec. at all (except fridge). We will color, read or do a wordsearch.
    kristy890226

Answer by kristy890226 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Use CFC bulbs (use less energy), use a front loading energy efficient washer and dryer (less water and less power required), hang clothes to dry when possible, unplug appliances & computers when not in use, use A/C only when we can't stand it anymore and use fans to get air flowing through the house, have an LED TV (uses less power than any other kind of TV), and in winter we burn wood for heat instead of using gas/propane or electric heat.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010