Do you feel childbirth has ruined your health?

I certainly do. Before I had my first I was always healthy. Hardly ever caught anything, not even the common cold. After I had my son I got sick a lot more often, and I had to have internal hemorrhoid surgery from pushing so hard during childbirth. Now that I've had my second a little over a month ago, I've landed myself in the hospital again having my gallbladder removed. I feel like my body is going to be ruined forever. I have 25 lbs to lose from this last pregnancy and my body REFUSES to let go of it. No amount of dieting and exercise seems to help, the scale won't budge. I've pulled 3 gray hairs out of my head today and I'm only 23! My stomach is killing me from my surgery and I feel like I'll never be the same. I feel so unsexy I have a hard time even being intimate with my husband. I know it sounds bad, and I love my kids more than anything, but I feel being a mom and giving birth has really taken it's toll on me.

pixiestix21

Asked by pixiestix21 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am sorry to hear that. I hope things get better. I found that I was pretty much the same after giving birth, three kids within 4 years. I didn't gain much weight with them and lost it within a few months. Back when I was having kids, the Doctors all were upset if we gained more that 20 pounds during pregnancies so, of course,it was easy to get back in shape. And I always take a bunch of vitamins,too.
    Cheer up---once you get past this streak of bad health, you can bounce back! Try walking every day and increasing exercise and you will lose weight and have more energy. Vitamins will keep you healthy.
    Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm sorry you feel that way :( I actually feel better in general than I ever did before kids. I definitely take better care of myself than before I had them. After 4 kids, I have accepted that I will forever have loose skin on my tummy (unless I have surgery) and stretch marks so I work extra hard at the things I can change. Maybe with time you will feel better :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 3:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm the exact opposite. I've never felt healthier and more in tune with my body. I had to break bad habits when I got pregnant and have stayed off them. I've learned how to eat better and be more active. My last pregnancy/birth was probably the bigger influence. I had a home water birth with a midwife and really had to trust myself and my body. My instincts were always dead on. The actual birth makes me feel so powerful and that has really helped my self-confidence as a woman.

I'm going to assume you had a typical hospital birth. I've heard many stories of how a woman can feel so helpless in those situations and lose confidence in themselves. Not to mention the havoc many hospital procedures can wreak on your body. I'm sorry you've ended up feeling this way mama. If you decide to have another baby consider an alternative birth. I've heard many empowering stories of women gaining back their confidence in birth.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Healthwise, no I don't think pregnancy ruined it.
    But in the 'sexy' department, definitely. I have an extra 25-30 lbs from the pregnancy and I also cannot get rid of it. I have really considered getting my Army friend to 'train' me to help me get this weight off.

Sorry so much has gone so wrong. I hope things start looking up for you.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 3:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Yes but it's all worth it. I have NF1 and once I got pregnant I started growing tumors all over my body. The tumors are sparked by the hormones of pregnancy. They are non-cancerous but they are ugly, they're small like a pea and I have hundreds of them all over my torso and legs and there's many to have them removed. I've gained 30 lbs that I've tried for over a year to get off and jumped 5 pants sizes. I get my ovarian cyst now and my periods are a hell of a lot more painful. But like I said it's worth it, sure I wish my body didn't have to suffer but then I look at my kids and I'm happy that I have them and wouldn't change what happen for anything in the world.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I believe being pregnant definitely ruined my health. I developed Preeclampsia/HELLP Syndrome. My blood pressure was through the roof. I had never had any issues with my bp before getting pregnant. The only "cure" for Preeclampsia is delivery. Not in my case. My bp never returned back to normal. It's been more than four years and I still have to take medication to regulate it. I have night sweats and heart palpitations. The medication has caused me to gain about 35 pounds. I would love for my body to go back to normal, but that probably isn't going to happen.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 12:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes...yes..yes. I rarely was sick. I had a normal pregnancy, not even a bp or sugar spike. Baby was small, but that runs in the family. They continued to make me have weekly ultrasounds despite no abnormalities. When I disputed this, I was made to feel like a horrible woman and dr said he wouldnt see me without them

I was induced at 38.5 weeks because of her size. Induction failed so after 14 hours they did a c section. I was okay...went home after 2 days. Was back in the hospital days later with a hospital acquired strep d infection

Subsequently that strep d infection triggered an auto immune response rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia. I also had wound packing, home health etc etc

gallbladder out 6 months after my daughters birth, hysterectomy two months later. 2013 was a bad .2014 has only been a brain cyst and herniated disc surgery
    lizzbrantley

Answer by lizzbrantley at 9:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2014