trying to make my marriage work but SIL is ruining it.

so its been 11 years of dealing with SIL's crap...favoring one child over the others, buying him things, thinking she's the mom, thinking she can support just the one child. stealing my baby clothes, stealing my baby shoes (no one knows why), talking down to my children so they go crying in thier bedrooms, thinking she's her brother's wife, yelling at MIL and FIL and making them feel like crap.

this morning she said to my son while she sat down to have some pancakes her mother made "where do you put it all? you can have 20 of them and still eat it all." knowing that her mother had some more pancakes on the griddle. He went running to his room and cryed.

for those of you who think all i can do is talk to her mom or dad...well we told them to put thier foot down and stop letting her walk all over them. Her mom says that she wont talk to her because she just yells back at her.

11 fricken years worth of this! thoughts?

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• after 11yrs, if you're not ok with it, you should get your family out. otherwise, take it for another 11.
    those are my thoughts.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• why is she still around you and your family? what does your husband say? if he is fine with it then maybe it's time to re-evaluate your relationship.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• if its that bad then move away from them, or just ignore her. and as far as her teasing your child about how much he eats, i see nothing wrong with that. i joke with my kids all the time about how much they eat, cause they are literally a bottomless pit and all 3 are considered under weight, and they never ran away crying. my dh and i always tease are kids, but not in a mean way. i think it gives them practice to deal with teasin when they get to school, so when someon does try to make fun of them they just laugh and walk away.
    are your kids always that sensitive? not to be mean but if they are then u have bigger problems than SIL. how do they handle teasing in school?
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• If hubby is ok with it then you need to cut her out of your family. Who cares if she yells at you when you tell her, b/c you'll never have to deal with her again. Maybe tricky during family get-togethers and holidays, but sounds like she's freakin nuts! I hate people like that! When she speaks rudely to your child(ren)...do you ever say anything to her? I think I would.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• will add though if she teases them in a demeaning way then get in her face about it, right then and there in front of everyone. u have to teach your kids to stand up for themselves.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Where is the hubby what does he have to say???
    If you have put up with this for 11 years, you could have corrected this from the get go and spoken out the first time it happened.

Answer by older at 3:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• hmmmm thats what i was thinking too
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• well in my younger years...when my first was born, i didnt know better and wasnt smart enough to think i could start up another relationship with anybody or live alone, i thought i HAD to stick around cause thats what marriage was about. i moved to another town and was happy for a bit but then i had to move back with MIL where she ALSO lives.
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• no...she meant it in a mean way, must of had a bad morning and took it out on him. she does that often.
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i usually dont say anything to her, she will come up with a bunch of lies and other crap that didnt even happen. i dont waste my breath on her
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2010