Is baby circumcision done with pain relief

MizzCheevious

Asked by MizzCheevious at 3:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They do give a local at the incision.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 3:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Both of my kids were numbed when it was done... It's a toppical cream they use just to numb the area...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• YES they give them a shot in the sack so they can't feel anything. My son cryed more when they took the bottle out his mouth!!!
    Connersmom9956

Answer by Connersmom9956 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• All the ones I have watched they get an injection at the base of the penis and then sweetease (sugar water) that helps with the pain. But it doesn't help with the pain later on... just during the cutting.
    Most of the time with the first diaper change they scream their little heads off.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My son recieved the topical numbing cream and sugar water. He didn't cry and when we changed his diaper the first time he didn't even whence... He never acted like he was in any pain at all.
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 3:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• We were offered a few options. The needle, the cream and the sugar water. We decided against the needle because the nurses felt the cream worked better. So he had the cream and the sugar water. He cried, but only while being held down. He fell asleep immediately after. At his first diaper change, there was no screaming. Just take care of it they way they show you.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• depends on the doctor. ask them what they do. insist on both a topical cream then the shot. I have seen it done without and it was torture for the baby but the ones that had it numbed didn't like being held down but their crys were not crys of pain.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I'm sure they use some kind of pain medicine. I didn't get a chance to ask anything or talk to the doctor. They came in & asked me if I wanted him circumcised & when I said yes they came back that night & took him while I was sleeping. His doctor came back in when they were done, told me everything went well, and that he was down in the nursery & a nurse would bring him in to me soon. They never did bring him back to me I had to walk down the hall to get him myself.

bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 7:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Pain relief for infant circumcision ranges from nothing to sugar water, to a numbing cream, to a shot, or a combination. Stronger pain relief is generally too dangerous for a baby. I have done a few years of research on the matter, and I feel that none of the pain relief measures for infant circumcision are adequate enough. There are also very few safe pain management options for after the surgery, and again, I do not feel that the pain relief is strong enough.  We opted against circumcising our son for this and many other reasons.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 4:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2008