CIRCUMCISION

I SAW MY GREAT NEPHEW YESTERDAY.HE IS JUST ADORABLE.WHEN KAYTEN WAS BORN,MY HUBBY ASKED ME"WHEN DO THEY START OPENING THEIR EYES."I LOOKED AT HIM & HE WAS F****** SERIOUS. : ) LOL ANYWAY...MY GREAT NEPHEW CAN'T GET THE DEED DONE FOR 2 MORE WEEKS BECAUSE THEIR INSURANCE SAYS IT'S COSMETIC SURGERY .I HAVE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM & MY 2 GRANDSONS NEVER HAD TO JUMP THRU THAT HOOP. WHAT AN FRICKIN SCAM.IT'S ALL ABOUT $.

bvannkissy

Asked by bvannkissy at 3:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As for the argument of it's cosmetic or medical... Here are some numbers...

Risk of UTI drops from 1:20-50 to 1:200-500
    Risk of death from UTI complications (Kidney infections, meningitis and infection of bone marrow) in first year drops by 1 in hundreds to 1 in thousands!
    Risk of Penile Cancer 20 times higher in uncircumcised men
    Risk of Prostate Cancer is 50% higher in uncircumcised men

Also the number of women and men with HPV and other related cancers drops with circumcision between 2 and 4 fold...

HOW IS ANY OF THAT COSMETIC?????

Not to mention if he's ever in a situation where cleanliness may not be possible (military, missionary, distant travel, etc...) there is a higher risk of yeast infection, adult UTIs, kidney infections and other fungal and bacterial infections as well.

OR, you can have then circed as a baby and side step many of the risks... How is that cosmetic?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Actually, it's not about money, it's because there is not one medical reason to have it done. They have disproven every claim that had been made about circumcising your child. If it's not for religious reasons then it is for cosmetic reasons. Not trying to debate, just stating the facts.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 3:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• yes it is and the longer you wait I heard is more painful. I honestly didn't do it for my son and will not do it for my unborn son who shall be he re in september.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It is cosmetic surgery. Why should my insurance premiums be higher because some parents want to have an unnecessary surgery done?
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It's all done for the sake of vanity. Parents don't want their son being picked on for having an uncircumsized penis but do you honestly believe that guys look at eachothers penis in the locker rooms? You know, unless they're in to that.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• MommyH2: I did watch my son get circumcised, which the main reason I am so against it. It was terrible. My husband and I both agree it was an uneducated decision and one we both regret. Especially because the Dr. tried to tell us it wasn't necessary.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• A study published in Thymos: Journal of Boyhood Studies estimates that more than 100 baby boys die from circumcision complications each year, including from anesthesia reaction, stroke, hemorrhage, and infection. Because infant circumcision is elective, all of these deaths are avoidable.
    To put this in perspective, about 44 neonatal boys die each year from suffocation, and 8 from auto accidents. About 115 neonatal boys die annually from SIDS, nearly the same as from circumcision.
    http://www.icgi.org/2010/04/infant-circumcision-causes-100-deaths-each-year-in-us/
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i have also heard that insurance companies often won't cover circumcision. personally i don't see why they would cover it... they don't pay for ear piercings either.... ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• it is comestic surgery. It's not necessary.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• both of my boys were circed the day after they were born. i felt so bad both times. i'll never forget what the nurse said as she took my little boy away for the procedure. i asked if i could come and she said no, hospital policy. then she mumbled that maybe if the parents were allowed to start watching more people would stop getting it done. i felt like shit.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2010