Do you buy a new back pack every school year?

I have 3 kids now in school. I always bought new backpacks and supplies. But this year I realize how silly it would be to replace them already. The 2 little boys packs are still in great condition and primary colors so they haven't "outgrown" them. My oldest son's pack was $80 and ripped at the seam from all his books so instead of replacing it I took it to the tailor and spent $15. Maybe I'm just cheap =)

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 3:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in

• No way. Unless something is seriously out of shape it is a huge waste of money and resources to buy a new one each year!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• New gear for school is a way of life... We always purchassed new back packs and donated the old to the school .. Just in case someone needed it...
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with buying school clothes at the thrift store, not at all! And there is nothing wrong with using a backpack until it is no longer usable! People need to stop being so wasteful and feeling so entitled ... and teaching their children to feel so entitled as well.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• your right there is NOTHING wrong with buying from a thrift store,but come on!!! SCHOOL CLOTHES! If people learned to shop you can buy brand new mostly brand name clothes for the same price you would pay for a thrift store. I buy Macy's, jcpenny, sear, child's place, peebles, clothes all for under $10 a item. with sales, clearance and coupons that they run local paper you can buy great NEW items for cheaper!.. Why support thrift stores when they hire slow people and only pay them $3 a hour cause they can cause it is through a agency. ((I know someone who worked for the goodwill, and she supervised the "slower" workers.My friend got paid $12 a hour while they got paid $3~~))
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• yes, i will continue to use it as long as it's still together. I think it's stupid to spend so much on the beginning of school. I will be going to the thrift store if i need new school clothes for DD.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• No. Usually every 2-3 years--as they become bigger and they start toting around more books and things.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I do. Most of the time they're beyond repair. Especially after using them through the summer to go to camps and such.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 3:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• No. My parent's bought my son a Jansport when he was in K last year so I wouldn't ever have to replace it! It has a life time guarantee. no receipt required. I still have mine from middle school. Just got the strap repaired.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I didn't know that about Jansport. Good to know!
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• no I try to get at least two years out of them. I buy them on sale or at the children's place < they are very strudy and cute looking even for my 4th grader :) they cost me $15 each then after I bought it they went on sale for $10. I refuse to buy walmart, target or any cheapo like that. why pay more for a cheapo when you can get them at cp for cheaper.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2010