How did you get your retail job?

Now a days all you do is fill out an on-line app or in-store computer app to apply for a job. If you got hired at a bookstore or Target or Wal-Mart etc what did you do that set you apart and got you an interview? I need apart time job but have had no luck.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 3:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• For the most part, it was good timing on my part -- applying when they were hiring and not just "accepting applications" (which usually means they're not hiring, but they don't want to tell you that). The one I've got now (at an independent bookstore), I knew she was hiring and what her requirements were, but I think what set me apart for that one was my enthusiasm for the job. I could barely contain my excitement, and I hadn't even been hired yet, lol.

It's good to actually go into the store and talk to a manager -- general or hiring/HR managers are your best bet, but I wouldn't be too obvious that it's about a job, because that can make them put you off sometimes. Also, after you apply, call in every day or two to ask the manager about the status of the job and your application. That at least puts you at the front of their mind. And know the job you're applying for and demonstrate your willingness to meet its requirements
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I didn't leave the store without talking to a hiring manager/supervisor. And I would call constantly to check on the status of my application. I was very persistant
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I always seek out the store manager to introduce myself and say i had just done the application but wanted to give them a face with the name and show my enthusiasm for wanting the job
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I work for Macy's... I just went to Snagajob.com and filled out the application.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i had to fill out the application, and send my resume online..and they also had a lil questionaire that i had to do online as well..then about 3 weeks later i got call for an interview, went to that, had some more testing i had to do, then i got hired :) where i work we dont accept resumes in person, we only do it online..i hate doing it online tho, because im always scared that when i upload my resume its gonna get all messed up on the other end..cuz whenever i send it to myself, it doesnt look how it looks in person.if that makes sense...like the lines are all messed up, i have it all written out perfectly spaced and what not, but not when it goes thru email, it doesnt look that way...but yaa al,ost everyone is doing it online..good luck, i hope you find soon :) (i've heard starbucks is a good company to work for)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i work for macys too i just filled out an application on their website and then got called in for an interview.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• good luck, in my day it was all done in person, face to face-the emplyer wanted to see what you looked like before they would call you in for an interview. I dont think I could do it today, on-line???
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Applied on-line, and completed online speed test (The BonTon). I've been working there part-time for 3 years--no more than 10-12 hours per week. I have a full-time job as a teacher, but I keep the retail job for the awesome employee discount--25% on TOP of sales, coupons, and clearance items! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I married the owner.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Ummm filled out app, had interview and was hired.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2010