how long does it takes to adopted a child

BEAUTIFULWOM518

Asked by BEAUTIFULWOM518 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Adoption

• It really depends on the circumstances. One of my friends just got through with the whole process. It took her about 1 1/2 but hers was an "easy" case.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• well I hope that before you adopt a child you can get your sentence straight!..
    now more info are you adopting a child, overseas? your niece? depends my hubby is adopting my boys they said about 6 mos.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• yep..it depends on what kid of child you want to parent. The longest wait in our county seems to be for blue eyed girls. If this is child number 5 for a birth mom, that baby might go straight adoptive placement (if mom is a drug user, baby #5 may have the highest exposure with mom needing more and more over the years).

I took mostly drug exposed newborns. My dark babies had to be placed out of state sometimes, people would just want to wait for their type of baby. Ask the social worker which kids they have a hard time placing...risky adoptions, parents with psych issues, drug exposure especially alcohol (really ready up on, the brain is really different).

I had 35 placement doing foster care...I'd guess 20 went to county adoptive homes by the time the baby was 8 weeks but most all had exposure issues...I keep two of my placements which were kids people weren't choosing....finalized adoptions by 21/2.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 4:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It really does depend. When my sis and bil started the adoption journey they looked a couple different options. The one they went with was through Child and Family Services, but not through foster care. The classes and references and home study took about a year for all of it. They officially were on the adoption registry in Jan and right away were offered the chance to adopt two brothers. They declined because of various issues, but in June adopted a baby girl. Because they went through CFS, the waiting list of prospective parents was shorter (5 or 6 couples as opposed to 60 or 70 through a private agency) and their chances of adopting sooner were greater - and obviously paid off.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• That depends on your situation, the agency you go through, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Depends on too many things to list!!!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 9:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Typical social services adoptions take longer than private. (about as long as a typical pregnancy depending on locale) Much safer too. If you are looking for a blond, blue-eyed baby--prepare for a long wait. The more restrictions (sex, age, heritage, etc), the longer the wait. If you are totally open, not so long. Yes, you can go to Russia or Haiti, but you are running a big time risk We had one biological child and then adopted when there wouldn't be another. Nine months was the time element, but there were no other problems. All we asked was a girl since we already had a boy. She is basically European from her mother and Hispanic from her father. She is a darling young woman and we do not have (and never had) any regrets.
    emerald0527

Answer by emerald0527 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• A social service situation does not take as long as a pregnancy. For starters - you could have a child with you several years and then that child could be removed to be reunited with a bio familily member who has come forward. I saw it all the time. Also it ain't ever over 'till the fat lady sings. Which is to say until a family court judge rules the parental rights of a parent is terminated, the court is satisfied no other bio family member is willing and suitable to parent - then you have the right to petition the court for adoption. If you opt for an available child through the state then it still could be a year or more. Depends on your court system. If your system is backed up then adoptions are low on the priority list to be scheduled. Our's went through about nine months after we brought him home only because our lawyer had excellent pull with the clerk of court's office to schedule. Not every lawyer is
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• A sweetheart with the clerk's office. The private adoption we did typically takes three to six months for a child to be placed in your home. Currently we are fixing up our older home to become foster parents and may one day adopt through the state should a situation present itself.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:43 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Parents of children in the state's custody have 12-18 mos to complete their service plans & then there could be an appeal. During the 12-18 mos, they are trying to do home studies on other suitable relative in case the parents don't complete their service plans. If you are like I was in the beginning, even seeing 9 mos listed as a probable wait time seems TOO FAR AWAY, however, I look back now and realize that we were so busy taking each day as it came,that by the time we finalized our adoption 2 yrs later, it seemed like a blur. That had actually been 3-1/2 yrs after we started. I often say that the Lord knew that I was going to require several changes in my thinking before adopting our son. I used to have all the answers to all the parenting dilemmas.....right until I had our first infant placement. I suddenly realized how clueless I was & how books don't give all the answers. LOL! Humbling, but necessary. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:18 AM on Jul. 19, 2010