what does means the emo?

i am not an american(but citizen)
i came here 16yrs.ago.
please understand my broken english.
first, i told you ablut my dsughters situation,
she was born here.
now it,s 12and half.
her dad and i seperated 5yrs.
she lives with her dad since from then.
what i wnat to know that,
her friends call emo to her.
rly worry with her but i don,t know that means.
cause i can,t understand that
currently girls trand and popular and her think,,,
she is depress usueally(exception with friends),
so doesn,t want talk to anything with me .
all stoped any school study
only thing lernign elec guiter.
lots of question about her i have,
i want to ask the emo,

behappydaughter

Asked by behappydaughter at 4:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It's kind of a Punk Rock image. Right now it's kind of ' the thing' to be. Ripped panks, hot pink and black, skulls... It's a phase in most cases. Not necessarily anything 'bad'. My niece is very emo and she is not a 'bad girl' at all. She just likes the style. We all hope it will pass soon. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Emo is a sort of music that most teens with troubled lives turn into a lifestyle. They are usually down on themselves and their lives and "wear their hearts on their sleeves". Emo music usually is about suicide, break-ups, parents not understanding, basically anything that involves a person feeling sorry for themselves. Being that she's 12, I would just keep a close eye on her and get her into counseling if she is depressed. She's young and just trying to find her identity. GL
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• EMO means emotional, sensitive...

I would encourage your daughters electric guitar playing. Sometimes kids need an outlet & electric guitar is a great way to let your feelings out. I play piano & when abything was wrong, it felt so good to pound on that piano. It was a big emotional release for me. Be patient with your daughter. LEt her know she can talk to you & that you won't judge her, or get mad. Lots of teens are scared to talk to their parents in fear that their parents might get mad. Also, do you think she might be bummed that she spends more time at her dads? Teenage girls really need their mothers. I would try spending more time with her & try doing things with her that she likes...even if you hate it. Maybe you need more bonding time with her. Good Luck! I know those teenage girls are such a handful!!!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• She is at an age where she is trying to express herself and find herself. Emo like to dress in black, die their hair black or very dark colors, heavy pink,purple, blue eyeshadow, dark makeup, thats a lot of the punk rock style, they don't smile. keep the lines of communication open, try not to judge her.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Emo comes from the word emotional.

Lots of music is classified as emo, becasue it's so depressing. But, emo came from the word emotional.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• oh is that right/
    thank you so much for answer but ,
    worry about that
    she sometimes told me while crying
    want to suicide and don,t want live no more live,,
    behappydaughter

Comment by behappydaughter (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• If she's telling you that she doesn't want to live, you need to get her help. Hug her and hold her and tell her that you NEED her in your life. That you DON'T want anything to happen to her. That must be so heartbreaking, I'm sorry.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I don't want to scare you unneccesarily but I have heard that the word emo is sometimes used to describe kids who cut there wrists. This probably is not that case and it probably is more like what the other moms said, but just to be safe i would check her arms.
    elizJ

Answer by elizJ at 9:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The other moms are right, Emo is a type of music and dress that kids are into. It is emotional and often sad. In general it is a passing fad BUT if your daughter has mentioned suicide then you need to get her to a doctor ASAP.

Don't wait.

Call a doctor.

Hug her close, look her in the eyes and tell her how much she means to you and how much you need her here with you.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Emo - emotionally unstable.

Its a big phase now, promoted by twilight and the band paramore. But usually girls tend to take it to the extreme by slitting theirwrists and claiming to be suicidal. Be here for your daughter and i hope she grows out of it soon :)
    Ellie_Louise

Answer by Ellie_Louise at 3:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010