Can a court refuse to repeal a petition for divorce?

I was reading about a couple who had filed divorce papers and then reconciled and had to go and file a repeal to their divorce petition... Which got me to thinking, since the divorce petition is a legal document isn't it something that the court COULD force if the judge wanted to be an ass? Could s/he refuse the motion to repeal and force them to divorce? Has it ever happened?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• I guess so, but what judge would do that? I
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I don't know that they WOULD, I was just wondering if they COULD. If I were a judge and I saw a couple file for divorce and then repeal I would most likely not even think twice, I would just sign the paperwork. But what if it was a case where the wife filed because of a abuse or infidelity? Maybe I would refuse it just on principal... Would it solve anything? or stop the abuse? No, most likely not, but it would make a point...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010