Do you hate having company over?

I can not stand it!!! I am the only person out of all my friends and our couple friends so it is easier for people to just come to our house so the kids have their stuff to play with and we dont have to keep them from messing with other peoples stuff. So our friends just invite themselves over all the time and I want to be a good hostess but it is just so freaking stressful I would rather be a hermit. I clean and clean for hours trying to make my house look presentable (my house is never "dirty" but also never spotless with 2 small children!) and I just feel like screaming. Then they still have the nerve to say things like "ew, there is a sticky spot on the floor". WTF do you expect with a 4 year old and 1 year old? Thanks for finding the one spot I missed. Ok...rant over. Am I alone or anyone else have this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I used to. I'd clean my self silly and like you, they'd find that one spot that was missed. I eventually got tired of it and handed them a wet paper towel and said "why don't you fix that if it bothers you so much". Now, when people come over, they don't comment. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Your not the only one. I hate when people come over unannounced....and even worse is when they're outside, call and just find out that your home so they can come in! Ugh! I keep my doors locked...or my in laws would be all over here, letting themselves in all the time.
    I don't believe in dropping in on people...that's what phones are for, and planning...I enjoy myself a whole lot more when I can plan to ahve someone over...
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I used to be very open minded like you to this kind of thinking.Then one day I realized how much extra work it was creating for me alone and no one else. And there was no reciprocation whatsoever.So I started limiting it all.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It sounds like you have some rude guests coming over. If people acted like that when they came to my home I would not be happy about hosting either.
    I do enjoy having guests, but it is always nice after they leave and I can just lay around in my pjs or be a bum without feeling like I have to entertain everyone.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I completely agree with you. We do the same thing, because our kids have everything they need here at home and it just makes is so much easier..but the down side is yes, we have to play hostess and cook, entertain, clean etc...not fun at times but right now this is how we prefer it to be. Maybe, you guys can start alternating houses since it's taking it's toll on you and maybe that can give you some time to relax and enjoy the fun and have someone else take on the hostess responsibilities for awhile.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 4:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Nope. I don't let people in my house. I hate this. When we move into a bigger place next month we will be able to have people over.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I haven't had a dinner party in three years and honestly, I miss it. I miss my old house. We used to have dinner parties with our friends several times a month.

Since we moved in to take care of his mom and his health went downhill, we don't do anything. He doesn't like it when company comes over without calling first. Even if we do have company, it has to be quiet company because of his constant migraine. Everyone has just stopped coming around.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Yes i do especially when they are announced,or they stay way to long.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Yes, I do, other than my parents. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I HATE the "pop over" visit, but when I'm EXPECTING company, I LOVE to entertain--for the primary reason that I don't have to worry about what my children are getting into--and they can go to bed whenever they want!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2010