How can I take my Great Dane to Okinawa Japan

Hello All,
My husband and I are both active duty Marines. I recently received orders to Okinawa Japan. We really want to take these orders. We loved it there the first time we went, however, we have two dogs. One of them is a 14 month old Great Dane named Zeus. He is like our third child and we love him to much to get rid of them. Has anyone had any experiences with this issue. We would rather not take the orders than leave our baby. I hope someone can help :) thank you so much.

nvp2005

Asked by nvp2005 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Pets

• I found this- http://www.nic-nagoya.or.jp/en/canyouhelpme/pet_quarantine.htm

I would contact the vet on your base and they should have information about transporting animals to different countries when you have military orders.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I hope you have a ton of money available. Flying a pet is very pricey. That and the mandatory quarantine that the pet must endure. I have owned pets and got orders to go to other countries. I have found it is in the best interest of the pet and my wallet to find a great home that will care for your baby while you serve your time. How long a tour is Japan? If it only for one year, I would leave him State side. I know it hurt me to only get home movies of my beloved pet, but I knew I would be home soon and we would be reunited.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 5:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010