I can't stand my MIL!!!!

I know not all MIL are horrible, but this one is controlling and selfish. Me and my SO have been together for 12yrs and I have had issues with this lady from the beginning. Throughout the years I have tried to keep my interactions with her on a limited basis. I have 2 daughters one from a previous relationship, which she always use to criticize and I had to nip in the bud. My 2nd daughter is with her son which she adores her, her b-day was 2 weeks ago and she asked her grandmother to give her a party. Me and my SO were preoccupied and had not had the chance to make plans with her till 2 days before the party. My SO was out of town so I was left to try to make arrangements with her. My suggestions were not to her liking and she asked that her son call right away, he didn't call her back within the time frame she requested and therefore cancelled the party a day before.....her reason was that she was not prepared and her family

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Has your DH ever tried to talk to your MIL about this. A lot of times tensions between DIL and MIL are caused by the MIL being jealous that you have "stolen" her son. It would be best if your DH would sit down and tell her that she is still important to him, but you are also important. Did she have a problem with your relationship from the start, like not approving of the relationship or the circumstances? That could also be the cause of the tension.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Good post amandajoy
    Also, there are ways to get along with any MIL...it takes counting to 10 and being just plain sweet and cater to her quirks...then tell your DH he needs to take your side in the situations that come up.
    But, I tell ya....I wish my problems were as small and easy to solve as yours.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 19, 2010